FREE articles, coupons and special deals straight to your inbox:
Tips for Adhering Vellum
One of the most frequently asked questions I'd encounter when teaching scrapbooking classes was, "How do you adhere vellum?" As the scrapbooking industry has exploded, scrappers are offered many new products to enhance their paper craft projects. Many unique and wonderful vellum embellishments and quotes have been introduced, and the question of how to adhere vellum is even more pertinent.
I'd always heard, "When it comes to vellum, the best adhesive is no adhesive." I've found this statement to hold true, with a few exceptions. With this in mind, I offer you these ideas to try when using vellum in your next project. I've used Quick Quotes vellum products for my example.
- Use brads or eyelets to adhere vellum to your project.
- Use ribbon or fiber to tie your accent to your page.
- Use embellishments or other page elements to hide traditional adhesive. On the "All Dog" layout I used several accents to hide the glue dots and Hermafix tabs underneath.
- Machine stitching and hand stitching add pizzazz to vellum accents and offer a wide range of possibilities depending on the type of stitch you use. You can even sew punches or other embellishments under the vellum to create a unique look.
- There are several adhesives on the market made specifically for use with vellum. If you use a lot of vellum, you might want to try V2 Vellum spray made by Quick Quotes. The acid-free product dries clear and is repositionable.
- Using a Xyron machine with vellum does alter the appearance of the piece, but since the Xyron applies an even layer of adhesive the whole piece will look the same and no one will be able to see where the adhesive begins and ends.
The soft effect vellum creates is perfect for this time of year... think cold icy snow photos or soft warm holiday lights. I hope these ideas will help you to incorporate vellum into next layout!