FREE articles, coupons and special deals straight to your inbox:
Piano Hinge Book
This book looks so complicated, but it's really quite simple to make. For the hinge spine use bamboo skewers, or be creative and use other straight objects such as twigs, pick-up-sticks, or chopsticks.
Materials & Supplies:
- 10 sheets cardstock, 8½" x 11"
- 1 sheet handmade paper or corrugated paper, 8½" x 11" (The handmade paper should have some thickness to it.)[K1]
- 11 bamboo skewers (These can be found in most grocery stores.)
- Waxy Flax or other waxed linen thread (Waxed dental floss will work too.)
- chunky beads and shells to hang from the book
- book cover and signatures template, downloaded
- bone folder
- X-Acto knife with a sharp blade
- scissors with a sharp point
- cutting mat
- heavy-duty glue (such as PVA or Yes! Glue)
- Diamond Glaze or Crystal Lacquer
- Cut the 10 sheets of cardstock in half (8½" x 5½"), then fold each of those sheets in half to make 20 folded sheets (4¼" x 5½"). Put two folded sheets (folios) together to make ten signatures. Using the template for the signatures and sharp-pointed scissors, cut four triangular notches in each signature at the folded edge.
- Cut the handmade paper in half (8½" x 5½"). Separately fold each piece of handmade paper in half and glue closed [K2] with the heavy-duty glue leaving unglued ½-inch from the folded edge. Be sure the other edges are glued well as they will be the outside edges of your book cover.
- Using the template for the cover, cut the four lines on the folded edge. Using your X-Acto knife, cut tabs 2 and 4 from one cover piece and tabs 1, 3, and 5 from the other cover piece. This will leave little rectangular tabs sticking out on each cover, one with three tabs, the other with two tabs.[K3]
- Beginning with the cover that has two tabs, fold back those two tabs. Then, fold back tabs 2 and 4 on one signature. Place those two pieces together.
- Using one of the skewers, weave through tab 1 on the first signature, then through tab 2 on the cover, then through tab 3 on the first signature, then through tab 4 on the cover, then through tab 5 on the first signature.
- Add a second signature and again fold back tabs 2 and 4. Using another skewer, weave through tab 1 on the second signature, then through tab 2 on the first signature, then through tab 3 on the second signature, then through tab 4 on the first signature, then through tab 5 on the second signature.
- Continue weaving skewers by folding tabs 2 and 4 on a new signature and adding to the other woven signatures. When you are done with the signatures, weave the back cover page onto the tenth signature using the same format.
- Cut the waxed linen thread into four 18-inch lengths and four 12-inch lengths. To sew, fold in half one of the 18-inch pieces of linen thread around one skewer at the back of the book. Using one-half of the length at a time, weave the thread in and out of the skewers. Then, repeat with the other half of the thread. (As you weave, remember to keep an even tension on your thread; if not, the book will not lie flat.) When your threads meet around the last skewer (which will be the front of the books), tie a double knot. Do this with all four 18-inch pieces. You should have eight hanging threads at the front of the book when you are done. Do NOT cut these threads!
- Weave the 12-inch lengths of thread on the bottom of the book in the same manner as you did the top of the book, starting at the front and working towards the back. Again, tie a double knot. Trim the thread on the bottom of the book.
- Trim the bamboo skewers with a dremel tool or strong wire cutters. Add a bit of the Diamond Glaze or Crystal Lacquer to the linen threads to make sure they will stay in place.
- String your chunky beads and shells onto the threads dangling on the top front of the book. Tie them off with strong knots reinforced once again with the Diamond Glaze or Crystal Lacquer.
Enjoy your book! This could be a small journal, a great gift for someone special, or a unique mini scrapbook.