FREE articles, coupons and special deals straight to your inbox:
10 Questions with Teresa Collins
Can I just say how absolutely tickled I was to be able to interview Teresa Collins? I've long admired her work and now her beautiful products. Her scrapbook products are not only beautiful and trendy but also timeless which is not always easy to achieve. Yet Teresa has made it look oh-so-easy. Read on to learn more about Teresa Collins. She's definitely going places!
- Can you tell me a bit about how you got started designing products?
I ran into Lance, owner of Rusty Pickle, one day at a LSS. He was really cool in that he wanted to know my thoughts on their lines. Before you knew it, I was designing products for them. I was very lucky!!! I owe so much to Rusty Pickle and for the opportunity that they gave me.
- I'm always very intrigued about everyone's careers with companies. Could you tell me about your job and maybe what a typical work day is like for you? Where do you work from?
I get up around 7:30am and get my children up, fed and off to school. As soon as I get home, I am checking my emails. I try to respond right away to my "work related" emails and then "try" to post on my blog. My days vary depending if I am working on product design, class designs, etc. I am always emailing back and forth with my marketing director, Jamie and Ken (my product distributor and my graphic artist). I do take breaks during the day to do laundry, run my kids to various appointments, run errands, volunteer at my kids' school, etc. As soon as my kids get home from school I am MOM 100% and try to focus on them. I will spend that time of my day taking them to various practices and activities. I have to occasionally check my emails since I have a lot of deadlines. Then when the kids are in bed- I am up scrapbooking or doing the "dreaded" class instructions... that is a typical day- BUT we all know that there really is no such thing as a typical day. I normally go to bed around 1am.
- Can you tell us about how you come up with your product ideas? Where do you go for inspiration or what influences you?
I wish I KNEW... but I think I am so inspired by my own desire to document "the story." I have a lot of products that showcase how to journal and how to capture your thoughts and feeling. I am a "heartfelt" scrapbooker. I am inspired by home decor and beautiful patterns. I love classic, timeless designs...I like to create products that hopefully are beautiful to look at but EASY to use.
- What is your favorite product you've created?
Oh wow- that is a tough question. I keep thinking now "this is my new favorite" and then it changes with the next line. I will say that Journal-it has a very special part of my heart. I think this line is timeless and can be used over and over.
- Have you always wanted to own your own company? How did the process of taking that step out on your own come about?
Are you kidding me? I was so scared. I was like I can't do this. I doubted myself...but then one day I had a little talk with myself. I realized that I could do anything that I set my mind to- and believed in. I found the perfect partnership with my fabulous distributor and it's been the BEST decision. It taught me a BIG life lesson- to follow your HEART.
- I know you scrapbook and also teach. Could you share a bit about how long you have and who your scrapbooks are about?
I started in the industry in 1992, and have loved the opportunity to meet scrapbookers around the world. I am blessed by meeting and associating with the people in my classes, or other artists, scrapbook store owners, etc. I am a better person by the associations and friends that I have made. I scrapbook about everything... mainly my family and our crazy life. I have given birth to FIVE children two bonus children that I adore- and an amazingly supportive husband that gives me lots of products to keep me busy.
- Given scrapbooking has really been around in the way we know it for the past 11 or so years. What kind of career did you have prior to starting your own line?
Interior Design- but I never really used it. I was and am still a stay-at-home mom with all my kids. I get to work from home- this I am very thankful for.
- To me your products are classic! They are the type of scrapbook products that to me are timeless and never go out of style, which I love!!!! Would you say this is how you viewed the products and was that the goal you were reaching for?
Absolutely- you got me and my style exactly... that is my goal. I am not a trendy person and so I try to stay true to my own style. With this I hope that there are others that can identify with the products that I am doing.
- As we all know there are so many scrapbook companies out there. What do you think makes your products stand out? What do you feel is unique about them?
You have the BEST questions. I "hope" that I stand out as someone who is a normal person, who takes lots of photos of their family and wants to document them. I hope that my products stand out as something that makes it easier for scrapbookers to document their memories. It is so important to me that I offer cool and hopefully inspiring products to work with.
- Lastly I have to ask, do you have any sneak peeks or tidbits you can offer to us Teresa Collins fans for the upcoming CHA Show?
Oh, you know it's too early... but I promise to share them on my blog the week prior to the show with you. I can only say- this show is going to be very exciting.