Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Important correspondence        (Topic#331546)
RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

08-07-14 10:13 AM - Post#4118430    

What is your system? Ours isn't working.

We get the letters through the letterbox, then they usually go to the kitchen table. I sort them, obliterate the addresses on any junk and recycle it. DH's post goes on his sofa seat so he doesn't miss it, and I action mine. That part works.

But sometimes, OK mostly, things can't be completed immediately. Bills need paying but their on-line system is down. Someone is out of the office on holiday for 2 weeks. Or I need DH's input and he's not back till late etc. You know. So the paperwork goes in a heap between us on the sofa.

And that part works until we get visitors. Then it gets moved "somewhere" out of their view, gets submerged and disappears off the radar. We had one of those wire in-trays in the study, but we don't go in there every day, so again, it drops off the radar.

What is your system for getting the day to day stuff done efficiently? Where do you put your pending paperwork so that it doesn't get forgotten?

carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum
Reg: 12-27-05

08-07-14 01:39 PM - Post#4118436    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Our office is set up with two large desks. Greg has his and I have mine. We also have a file cabinet piece of furniture that is designated to hold all unopened mail. Every day or so Greg opens the mail and sorts out the bills to be paid. He has a small letter holder where he places the bills for the month and goes through them each week paying the ones which are due immediately, and leaving the ones which are not due for the following week. Documents that need reviewing go in a small pile on his desk in front of his computer. He puts my documents to be reviewed in my hand LOL otherwise it doesn't get done. He is quite finicky about finances and bills.

Our system works well for us. I also rely on my I calendar to remind me of important things that need to be paid or reviewed.

Grandma to 3 
SJ Aficionada
Grandma to 3
Reg: 06-15-10

08-07-14 02:02 PM - Post#4118438    
    In response to carpe scrapum

In our house, I pay my bills and DH pays his. We have separate bank accounts. This stems from both of us being set in our ways by the time we were married.

I get paid twice a month so the bills are divided by the pay period. Twice a month, I sit at the computer and pay that pay period's bills. It gives me an idea on how much money is left afterwards so I know how much goes towards groceries or play money.

It's odd, but after 10 years, it still works for us.

I still get paper bills, but I usually don't even open them. They sit on the counter for a couple of months until I go thru them and toss them. I have a paper that I go to every month with the name of the account and the password on it that I pay by. Once I get the account up on the computer, it tells me how much I need to pay or how much I owe.

Edited by Grandma to 3 on 08-07-14 02:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

08-07-14 07:52 PM - Post#4118448    
    In response to Grandma to 3

If the girls bring the mail in they set it on the kitchen counter. Sometimes I bring it it.

Either way I go through it right away. Junk mail goes into the trash. Bills get filed in my closet office into my filing system.

I get the same monthly bills, so I have their due dates written on my calendar. I check my calendar daily. Most of my bills are paid electronically.

No late fees, so it's working.

SchoolBusMom 
SJ Divalicious
SchoolBusMom
Reg: 08-23-07

08-07-14 08:22 PM - Post#4118452    
    In response to 3 Little Ladies

DH brings in the mail and lays it on counter. I sort through it and put what needs attention on my desk and throw away the rest.

I always say if I happen not to be around my dh would be lost!!! I take care of everything. He calls me to see if its okay for him to make a big purchase. I also say if he ever goes to bank and signs something, they will think he is a fraud...lol!!! Ive been signing his name for 22 years!!!

WorkingMommy 
SJ Diva
WorkingMommy
Reg: 04-15-07

08-08-14 11:31 PM - Post#4118482    
    In response to SchoolBusMom

Similar to what Jen does - opened immediately, so the recyclable stuff can be tossed. Almost all my bills are electronic now so not much of that to deal with. If something is for DH it goes over in his little area in the kitchen (where his phone charger and such is at). If I have to deal with it, it goes on the counter if it's right away, otherwise I have a small pile on my office desk.

I've got electronic with as much stuff as possible and that really helps a lot.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
October 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.141 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 10:34 AM