Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: gardening....        (Topic#330802)
kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

05-10-14 03:54 PM - Post#4109140    

went out and cleaned up my last bed (never took care of any of it last year )
Planted some pumpkin seeds and zucchini seeds. I figured it was worth trying to start them outside. I'll just watch the weather for when it might get very cold at night so I can cover them. I took an old cardboard box as a raised bed for the zucchini.
I didn't start anything inside this year at all. Going to buy transplants for the tomatoes. I can get a 6 pack for $3.
hmmm.... come to think of it... maybe I should see if I can direct sow some cukes instead of buying transplants.
Guess I'll head back out in a bit and do that

Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

05-10-14 06:59 PM - Post#4109146    
    In response to kaleidoscope

I need to do this. I bought veggie plants for a $1 at school this past week. They were started by the agriculture students and it supports the program. I also bought a few flowers, though they were more expensive. I really want to plant them in the ground but so scared. This weather is nuts!! The leaves are just starting to peek outside of their buds. The weather was 80 today but 50 yesterday. How do you predict when to plant?

I need to add some nutrients to the raised beds and clean them up. I noticed some baby trees growing in them today. Thinking I might do this tomorrow if the weather is nice.

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom
Reg: 09-28-05

05-11-14 04:45 AM - Post#4109188    
    In response to Nora

All the cold hasn't been great for my garden. I planted arugula from seed about 6 weeks ago so it should be ready to eat, but they are still very small. I started tomatoes and basil indoors, but I don't plan to move them outside for a couple weeks yet. The garden stores around here recommend after may 15 for tomatoes in the ground.

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

05-11-14 06:38 AM - Post#4109190    
    In response to Nora

• Nora Said:
How do you predict when to plant?

You look up your zone and then there's a lot of sites that will tell you when to plant things. I usually reference more than one site to be sure. And then you can also decide to take your chances. Over time if you keep looking stuff up you learn a little more. Like some stuff can go in earlier than you thought. And some stuff if it goes in too late, you're not going to get much of anything by the time it's big enough because it's gotten too warm for the plants that like cool weather.

Technically, tomatoes and other frost-sensitive plants shouldn't be in the ground for another couple of weeks for me but I'm taking the chance. I'm just going to keep an eye on the forecasts so I can cover them.

Here's a few to get you started.

http://www.gardenate.com/ (make sure you look up YOUR zone)

http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/guidetogrow...

http://vegetableplanner.vegetable-gardening-onlin e... - cool planning site

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
July 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.265 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 11:27 AM