Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
 Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Can we talk Christmas?        (Topic#328700)
carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum
Reg: 12-27-05

11-04-13 07:39 AM - Post#4084802    

I'm stressing about presents for family members. Do you have gift ideas, present or past, that are good. Who is it for and what is it. We buy for everyone in the extended family and some friends and neighbors. I'm a little freaked out about the list. I would rather not buy for so many people but I always worry that they'll get me something and I'll feel bad. Also, what are you giving teachers or service people. I think I need a job!!!!!!

hockeymom24 
SJ Diva
hockeymom24
Reg: 04-03-11

11-04-13 08:04 AM - Post#4084806    
    In response to carpe scrapum

I don't worry about that at all.. We buy for who we want and that's it.

siblings is a family gift. unless they aren't married then they each get their own.
Bus drivers and teachers, last year a chocolate bar decorated as Santa Claus's coat, teachers got the same. We went simple.
We are trying to make most of our gifts this year and what we do buy it's at a great discounted price.

Get the girls to paint some pictures! and tada! it's done!

hockeymom24 
SJ Diva
hockeymom24

11-04-13 08:11 AM - Post#4084810    
    In response to hockeymom24

oh and can I say I am just so excited for Elf on the shelf!

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

11-04-13 08:19 AM - Post#4084812    

I did most of my shopping online while we were at the hospital. It makes it so much easier. I go back and forth between individual gifts and couples gifts for the couples we buy for.

We're doing themed baskets for the couples this year.

ice cream basket- 4 Fiestaware fruit bowls, chocolate syrup, caramel, crushed candies

cheese/cracker basket- Fiestaware dip bowl w/server, crackers, cheese, sausage

movie themed basket- movie rental gift card, popcorn, candies

I got my dad a wallet and I'm going to fill it with gift cards for gas and restaurants.

I got Lilly and Camy cross body bags and I'm going to fill them with cash and gift cards. (just one of their gifts)

I got my ex-sil a fiestaware jelly jam jar and I'm going to fill it with homemade sugar scrubs and wrap it with a loofa and gift tag.

We always get something coffee related for my oldest nephew. It's a family joke now. I got him a Fiestaware mug and I'll fill it with different flavors of coffee and a Starbucks gift card.

My youngest nephew is getting the Batmobile riding toy that I painted. I also picked up a Batman costume for him.

My other two nephews are getting cash. I'll just think of a creative way to wrap it. Maybe in a mason jar full of candy, put it in the center in a cup.

We usually give the teachers Starbucks or Rise n Roll gift cards.

My list:
mom/dad
mil/fil
sil/bil
niece/bf
nephews (4)
sil
niece
ex-sil
brother/gf
daughters
friends

carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum
Reg: 12-27-05

11-04-13 08:34 AM - Post#4084816    
    In response to 3 Little Ladies

Jen, you gave me so many ideas! I'm going to have to refer back to this thread!!!!! Thank you!

Sarah, the chocolate idea is great and I'm going to use it for the teachers. I think I'll buy some great European chocolate bars and wrap them fun. I might add a gift card to it.

I am going to try a buy something on line today and get this party started. We always buy a huge gift for my SIL, like $300 or more with of it, but I might cut back this year. It's getting crazy and I rather buy for the girls or even give it to the toys for tots program.

Greg and I are getting the girls involved in the giving to families in need programs. In years past we did it but the girls were not really involved and we want to change that.

hockeymom24 
SJ Diva
hockeymom24

11-04-13 09:11 AM - Post#4084822    

ds loved helping to wrap and decorate the chocolate bars. even gift cards would work too, we did that at the end of the year for the bus drivers.

hockeymom24 
SJ Diva
hockeymom24

11-04-13 09:14 AM - Post#4084824    

also the girls could make some ornaments for people's trees. a wreath made of beads. or??? there's lots of ideas out there.

Gramma - Claudia 
SJ Eloquent One
Gramma - Claudia
Reg: 06-23-03

11-04-13 09:15 AM - Post#4084826    

For the adult kids and spouses - Gift cards for dinner and a movie.

For siblings - we have a round robin gift exchange after Christmas dinner

For Grandkids - pajamas, books, a game of some sort and a gift card.

Two years ago the Grandkids each got a certificate to Converse to design their own shoes. They loved it.

Last year they got a certificate to design their own sweatshirts. They loved it.

You can go here http://www.aimeeasher.com/shoppe/product.php?produ... for candy wrappers. This designer has several cute ones. So simple that kids can help with them for teachers, neighbors, friends and so on.

This site http://christmas.organizedhome.com/ has lots of simple to do gift ideas including Gifts in a Jar.

Gramma - Claudia 
SJ Eloquent One
Gramma - Claudia
Reg: 06-23-03

11-04-13 09:41 AM - Post#4084834    

One more thing - and grandparents especially love this one. Calendars. They are easy to make from Costco - Shutterfly - probably any place that does photo processing

Here's a sample of one my DIL did a couple of years ago. She put all the family birthdays and anniversaries on it. She gave these to Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles and some of her close family friends - -

Attachment: IMG_2948.JPG (37.58 KB) 16 View(s)
Attachment: IMG_2949.JPG (39.86 KB) 16 View(s)

motherto3girls 
SJ Divalicious
motherto3girls
Reg: 02-26-09

11-04-13 09:42 AM - Post#4084836    
    In response to Gramma - Claudia

Truthfully this year I am feeling that it's just ridiculous that we feel like we have to spend money on people, so much money. I think it's all just too much. I really want to tell my parents to just not worry about it this year, it's not necessary. They are having a rough time and I don't see adding more stress to their lives, but I know my mom buys Christmas gifts all year, so I am sure she already has gifts for everyone. I think just spending time together, having a good meal and making memories is enough.

hockeymom24 
SJ Diva
hockeymom24

11-04-13 09:45 AM - Post#4084838    
    In response to motherto3girls

I so agree with that.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

11-04-13 10:23 AM - Post#4084848    

We don't have any spare money this year so we've cut the list down.

My Mum - crystallised ginger in a blue and white lidded jar that she can use as storage in her kitchen afterwards.

My brother has just renovated the garden pond so he's getting vouchers for pond plants.

We get given lists of things SIL has bought for her family, and we pick what we want to give them, and give her the money. That's the way she likes it done, easier for us too.

MIL and FIL will also tell us what they want, nearer the time.

We give to my cousin's two little ones (4.5 and 1.5) - I'll e-mail her and find out what they want. Ditto DH's two godsons (12 and 8).

BFF wants some antique crockery to complete the collection she inherited from her grandmother. We've found some sources of that for her.

I'll bring a little tree to choir practice with chocolates attached to the branches for the choir and clergy.

We'll get a few boxes and tins of chocolates and some bottles of wine as emergency gifts - then we can finish off anything that is left over!

We had a meal out with my other bridesmaid last week and I got up courage to bring up the suggestion that we stop getting each other presents from now on. They are both a nightmare to buy for, and we're all at that point in life where we're purging not accumulating, so everyone was very happy with that. Wish I'd done it before. We're just going to get together for a meal at least twice a year for birthdays and Christmas, and take it in turns to pay.

Megan - FT 
DaJanitor
Megan - FT
Reg: 06-06-06

11-04-13 11:06 AM - Post#4084862    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Nope. We can't. 'cause I have no ideas for anyone, and am totally stressing. I'll be stalking this thread.

I still have the calendar of my granddaughter from a few years ago, to second that vote!

motherto3girls 
SJ Divalicious
motherto3girls
Reg: 02-26-09

11-04-13 11:48 AM - Post#4084866    
    In response to Megan - FT

I do have a few websites that I thought I would share.

www.sammoon.com (great for girls/moms/woman)

www.personalcreations.com (I have ordered personalized flags and they turned out great)

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

11-04-13 11:49 AM - Post#4084868    
    In response to Megan - FT

Oh I forgot to say that we did vouchers for niece and nephew for their birthdays. I made up a "cheque book" for each of them, things like "up to £10 for a Skylanders t-shirt" and "a morning crafting with Auntie" and "up to 15 minutes playing Angry Birds on Uncle's iPad". We gave the money to SIL. One of them was "£10 cash, redeemable once from Uncle or Auntie" to show them how to tear the "cheque" out and how it worked.

They absolutely loved them, and didn't care that some of the vouchers were for time rather than for monetary value.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

11-04-13 01:50 PM - Post#4084872    
    In response to RedSquirrel

I got all of that at Kohl's online. I had a 30% off coupon, and they were running their Kohl's deal ($10 for every $50 spent.) I spent a little over $300, saved almost $200, and got $50 in Kohl's cash. Not bad! I just have to buy the grocery fillers for the baskets, and get the gift cards. Of course I still have a few gifts to buy for the girls too.

You don't have to spend a lot to give a nice, thoughtful gift.

gingersfavorite 
SJ Queen of the Crop
gingersfavorite
Reg: 08-13-07

11-04-13 08:47 PM - Post#4084914    
    In response to 3 Little Ladies

While I was single, much of my family were going through health &/or financial problems, so we basically quit exchanging with most of them. Mark's side is very small & some of them don't exchange either. I actually miss the older days when I could shop for people and see the joy on their face as they opened what we got them. I love shopping and oftentimes see just the perfect thing for someone - then am bummed hat we don't exchange anymore. I loved the chaos and hubbub of a room full of loud people all laughing and squealing, ewwwing and ahhhing as wrapping paper flies through the air. It's a bit boring now to just go have a meal and leave.

Our list is:

Our 4 kids
Our 2 grandsons
My dad & stepmom

Wow.... that's depressing

scaredycat 
SJ Aficionada
scaredycat
Reg: 09-04-09

11-04-13 09:20 PM - Post#4084922    
    In response to gingersfavorite

We have really scaled back on gifts. I make calendars for our moms and my father in law gets a coffee basket. For hubby's siblings we do a tin. For my sisters I like to do something super sentimental, but not expensive. Last year I found an old family photo and made copies and put them in a frame.

I'm really at a loss at what to do for the kids. We have overspent like crazy all year and there is just nothing left in the budget for anything big and fancy.

hockeymom24 
SJ Diva
hockeymom24

11-05-13 07:40 AM - Post#4084942    
    In response to scaredycat

*Stephanie feel free to add me to the list.... oh and you can come deliver it and watch me open it! haha! just teasing...

gingersfavorite 
SJ Queen of the Crop
gingersfavorite
Reg: 08-13-07

11-05-13 08:04 AM - Post#4084952    

Sarah

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
December 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.251 seconds.   Total Queries: 21   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 10:52 AM