Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Zucchini and ginger marmalade        (Topic#327870)
RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

08-12-13 02:17 AM - Post#4074820    

2lbs (6) courgettes, coarsely grated
3oz fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
3 lemons, juice and zest
2lbs caster sugar
6 jam jars (I'm guessing 1/2lb)

1. Put everything (apart from the jars) in a large jam pan or pot, or any heavy-bottomed pan.
2. Wash your jam jars with hot soapy water.
3. Thoroughly mix and scrunch all the ingredients with your hands. It’ll go from quite dry to wet and soupy as the courgettes release their moisture and the sugar starts to dissolve.
4. Over a low heat, stir till the sugar fully dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high.
5. Let it bubble up. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Pop a little plate in the freezer, ready for the set-test. Place the cleaned jam jars and lids in a 100°C/Gas ½ oven to warm and sterilise till your marmalade is ready.
6. When the jam goes from a rapid bubble to a gentle hum and looks thick and glossy, it’s ready. Double check: drag the spoon along the bottom of the pan and the mix should part, showing the bottom of the pan.
7. Drop a little dollop on the cold plate. If the dollop wrinkles a bit when touched, it’s ready. If not, cook the marmalade more, till it does.
8. Taste and add extra lemon zest or ginger if needed.
9. Once set, pour into the warm jars. Fill right to the top. Screw the lids tightly while the mix is still warm. Label and store in a dark, cool place for up to a year.

The recipe comes from here. Courgettes are what you call zucchini, and jam is your jelly. (Our jelly is different.) The original recipe calls for 1kg of courgettes and 1kg of sugar, which translates to 2.2lbs. I translated the measurements from metric into imperial for you and adjusted them down a little. So these measurements might not make the full 6 jars. You can do your own conversions if you prefer.

It sounds amazing, doesn't it? I'd love to know what it's like if anyone tries it!

scrappinmamma 
SJ Eloquent One
scrappinmamma
Reg: 01-07-07

08-12-13 12:34 PM - Post#4074856    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Oooohhhh YYUUMMYYY! Thank you Rosey!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
October 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.256 seconds.   Total Queries: 21   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 02:07 PM