Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Family Reunion        (Topic#327392)
Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

07-08-13 10:22 AM - Post#4069240    

We returned yesterday from a long weekend in Upstate New York. My cousin's parents gave him a reception for his wedding with all the Northern folks that couldn't make the one they had in Georgia in May, when they actually got married. (Many of the folks that would have had to travel are in their late 70's and early 80's and don't travel to well)

On Friday we had a mini family reunion on our side. A lot of people came and it was SO FUN!!! I am one of the "older" cousins and it was really cool to kind of get to know the "younger" cousins. My Aunts and Uncles are hilarious too and I love that Char gets to see all of us together.

Do you like family reunions or are they just annoying to you?

Beth Ann 
SJ Divalicious
Beth Ann
Reg: 01-23-03

07-08-13 10:57 AM - Post#4069248    
    In response to Nora

How fun!!

I love them, too.

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper
Reg: 03-15-03

07-08-13 01:19 PM - Post#4069250    
    In response to Beth Ann

LOVE family reunions!!

On my mom's side of the family, we usually have one every year. When Grandpa and Grandma will still here, we would have one either in June or July (Grandma's bday was in June, and Grandpa's was in July). Then we stopped having them.

Several years ago, my cousin and I revived the reunions. We started by going out to their farm, which my Uncle Vern now owns. It would just be the 3 of us, and sometimes my cousins son and my youngest DD would be with us. Some of the aunts and uncles (and later some other cousins) in the area found out that we were going out to the old farm and wanted to be a part of our own little reunion/picnic. That's when we decided each year to bring all the relatives together at least once a year, sometimes twice a year.

All the aunts and uncles are getting up in age (some even in their 90s now). We didn't have one last year, but are trying to get everyone together in Sept. to celebrate another 90th bday!

They are sooo much fun, and you get to revive the kinship you had years ago when you are young....

My dad's side of the family, seems the only time we have a reunion is for another funeral. We really should get everyone together more often!

scrapanda 
SJ Diva
scrapanda
Reg: 03-04-07

07-08-13 02:36 PM - Post#4069262    
    In response to buttonscrapper

I like reunions but my mom's family overdoes them in my opinion - it seems like they have them every 1 or 2 years. Which I guess wouldn't be bad but one of my mom's cousins organizes everything and she is a bossy boots and plans things that no one wants to do and barely gives any time for visiting and catching up.

My dad's side is small now so we don't have designated reunions per say just get togethers for events.

As long as I have known dh we have never been to a reunion for either side of his family but his parents only have 2 siblings each and not many cousins and most of them live near each other so I guess that is why.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

07-08-13 02:53 PM - Post#4069276    
    In response to scrapanda

I enjoy family reunions too. It's nice catching up with everyone. I don't really like when my aunt hosts a reunion because she invites friends, but what can you say? It's her house, and she's hosting. Her friends are rowdy, and most of them are in their 60s and 70s. Just inappropriate behavior for the younger crowd. We usually leave early.

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

07-08-13 03:38 PM - Post#4069292    
    In response to 3 Little Ladies

I just have to mention, when organizing a reunion, the person/s organizing them pretty much make all the decisions. In spite of all the planning and organizing, there will ALWAYS be some people who will NOT be happy!!

My cousin and I have tried all kinds of things, from different kinds of games to drawings, with all kinds of prizes. Some were prizes that we donated or made ourselves, to prizes donated by other members of the families. Still had those who liked to criticize.

In retrospect, you can't please everyone! After not having a picnic last year, this year we decided to do it low key, nothing special, just everyone getting together. No games, just more time to visit....

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

07-08-13 03:41 PM - Post#4069294    

• 3 Little Ladies Said:
I enjoy family reunions too. It's nice catching up with everyone. I don't really like when my aunt hosts a reunion because she invites friends, but what can you say? It's her house, and she's hosting. Her friends are rowdy, and most of them are in their 60s and 70s. Just inappropriate behavior for the younger crowd. We usually leave early.

I'm curious.... what kind of inappropriate behavior do these people in their 60s and 70s do?? I'm in my 60s and I have no clue what is inappropriate behavior! But I'm not a rowdy person either!

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

07-08-13 03:45 PM - Post#4069296    

I like them for a short while, then they get tedious. Not because I don't love them all, but because I get overwhelmed by all the people.

Then I feel guilty that I haven't spoken properly to Uncle John, and worry that that quip I made to second cousin Stephen that he didn't laugh at was a gaffe, and wonder whether the fact that cousin Emma hasn't returned my e-mailed is trying to tell me something... Yeah, I take these things way too personally.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies

07-08-13 04:12 PM - Post#4069316    

• buttonscrapper Said:
  • 3 Little Ladies Said:

I'm curious.... what kind of inappropriate behavior do these people in their 60s and 70s do?? I'm in my 60s and I have no clue what is inappropriate behavior! But I'm not a rowdy person either!

My aunt is 68, and still cruises with a Harley Davidson group. I heard one year after we left that people started undressing and running around completely naked. Obviously they had been drinking a bit to much too. That's not something I want to see, or want my dd's to see.

carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum
Reg: 12-27-05

07-08-13 04:35 PM - Post#4069318    

How fun Nora! Greg's side does the family reunion picnic every year. Used to be fun until some of the old people started acting like boobs towards me for things I organized under the orders of Greg's mom... Yeah, not fun. I'm no longer organizing. This year it was planned in the most discussing place ever. Stagnant water, bugs, the works. Greg and I will not be attending until they change the location...

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

07-08-13 04:55 PM - Post#4069326    

• 3 Little Ladies Said:
  • buttonscrapper Said:
  • 3 Little Ladies Said:

My aunt is 68, and still cruises with a Harley Davidson group. I heard one year after we left that people started undressing and running around completely naked. Obviously they had been drinking a bit to much too. That's not something I want to see, or want my dd's to see.

Um, Okay!! Sounds like they need a reality check if they are amongst younger relatives!!

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies

07-08-13 05:31 PM - Post#4069332    

That's not really appropriate for a family gathering, which is why I think she should keep her friend and family gatherings separate.

Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

07-08-13 06:20 PM - Post#4069336    

We had alcohol but since the kids were there, no one overdid it. We also just ate and drank, the kids swam, ate and played on the playscape or flipped around the yard. The older ones helped the younger ones. It was just so nice.

I am partial to having the reunions at someones house-especially one with a pool. However, not everyone has the room. My cousin graciously offered her house up and 3 of my cousins and a couple of my Aunts went over and made dips etc for apps. We had it catered by another cousin's restaurant and others made desserts. Each family was charged $25-this included alcohol if you wanted it-singles were charged $10. At the end, EVERYONE pitched in and helped clean up. It was great!!

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

07-08-13 06:46 PM - Post#4069344    

• 3 Little Ladies Said:
That's not really appropriate for a family gathering, which is why I think she should keep her friend and family gatherings separate.

You're right! If it's a FAMILY reunion, friends should not even be there. If she wants to do things with her friends, it should be a completely different gathering....

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

07-08-13 06:47 PM - Post#4069346    
    In response to Nora

• Nora Said:
We had alcohol but since the kids were there, no one overdid it. We also just ate and drank, the kids swam, ate and played on the playscape or flipped around the yard. The older ones helped the younger ones. It was just so nice.

I am partial to having the reunions at someones house-especially one with a pool. However, not everyone has the room. My cousin graciously offered her house up and 3 of my cousins and a couple of my Aunts went over and made dips etc for apps. We had it catered by another cousin's restaurant and others made desserts. Each family was charged $25-this included alcohol if you wanted it-singles were charged $10. At the end, EVERYONE pitched in and helped clean up. It was great!!

Nora, that sounds like a nice gathering! Glad you had a good time!

hockeymom24 
SJ Eloquent One
hockeymom24
Reg: 04-03-11

07-08-13 07:11 PM - Post#4069348    

i like family gatherings to a certain extent but I don't like being guilted into going to one if our plans/times don't work out. hence I decided this year that the guilting will just not work, if we can make it we make it if not, so be it. if we can only go for a few hours then that's fine too, the family will just have to accept it.

qaustriangirl 
SJ Divalicious
qaustriangirl
Reg: 05-27-05

07-08-13 11:00 PM - Post#4069374    
    In response to hockeymom24

This sounds like it was a lot of fun! Had one too on sunday with dh's family celebrating the 50th birthday of his uncle.
I like to meet everyone again and have fun, but it should not be too often.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
November 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.19 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 01:37 PM