Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: When you learn a new technique        (Topic#326333)
Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

04-20-13 02:01 AM - Post#4056999    

.....and want to share it with others, but you have learned in a class, and the teacher has asked you not to teach her class etc.....

....how far do you take it?

I would never ever teach a class I have been to in its entirety, unless I had the permission of the original designer.....however.....

When you learn new techniques, and they are now creeping into your everyday designing, what credit do you give? I mean,.,.i could look at any layout, and say....hmmm that's something xyz does you know? I don't know that anything these days is completely new is it? Mixed media techniques have been around forever, so I have picked up a lot of ideas from many different artists and scrap designers.

A while back I thought I had come up with a new way of doing something......to find someone else was doing it as well, a little different.....but still much the same. I posted the technique on a DT blog at the time, but the technique I saw which was extremely similar was from a woman in the USA.

It just got me thinking after the class I went to, when the teacher asked us not to teach her techniques....KWIM?????

Maybe I should be crediting da Vinci and Monet in some of the recent work I have done..........

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

04-20-13 03:29 AM - Post#4057005    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

My twopennyworth. I think if you have been to a class called Jane's Technique, taught by Jane, and Jane has asked you not to go away and teach it, she means that she doesn't want you making money from Jane's Technique which should be going to her. Fair enough.

But if you teach a class called Sharon's Technique, that incorporates a bit of Monet, a bit of combined and improved Pinterest, a bit of Jane's Technique (for which you will gladly give your students her details so that they can learn it fully from her) and an awful lot of Sharon-pulling-it-togethe r-and-making-it-much-bett er, then I can't see how she can get upset.

As you say, nothing is new, and this is about the spirit of the law rather than the letter.

Scrapjanny 
Scrapjazz Contributor
Scrapjanny
Reg: 09-06-07

04-20-13 05:35 AM - Post#4057009    
    In response to RedSquirrel

From a teacher's perspective:

When I teach anything, whether it's scrapbooking, stamping, or even computers, I want my students to teach others and share what they've learned. If it was a class/course that I had designed, I wouldn't want anyone teaching the exact same thing; but I wouldn't have a problem with someone sharing some techniques. Especially if those techniques weren't my original ideas. Giving credit for original ideas is proper etiquette, but there is very little that is completely original.

Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

04-20-13 08:47 AM - Post#4057019    
    In response to Scrapjanny

Most techniques out there are not "new" per say, just recycled old techniques. I think when you teach a technique, you would teach it differently then you learned it. When I go to a class, I pick up tips but NEVER do it exactly as I have been taught but put my spin on it so it becomes mine.

If I wound up teaching the technique I "learned" at a class, I would probably say I got the idea from such and such class I took and then did this etc.... differently because blah, blah, blah.

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

04-21-13 02:48 PM - Post#4057221    
    In response to Nora

It is really tricky isn't it?
Recently I did a class where the lady sewed on to her project t life cards, and sort of made like mini layouts for some of the pockets....she asked us not to teach her techniques.....hello......all she did was make a mini layout and I think I have been sewing on layouts since 2000 ....and other than fussy cutting...there were. I other techniques apart from using adhesive and a trimmer.

I found it an amusing thing to say!

The class I went to that Finnabair taught was a different scenario. Her stuff is very original, and quite different. True her layering is not unique, but the treatment of the elements is what makes it hers, the paint layering and the spraying etc.

I am going to try to make a page using techniques of hers soon, but as Rosey said put my own spin on it. At the time I was thinking there were some products I would use in place of stuff she did......it will be more of an inspired by .....class rather than a this is what .... does.

Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

04-21-13 06:33 PM - Post#4057253    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

• Kiwifarmer Said:
It is really tricky isn't it?
Recently I did a class where the lady sewed on to her project t life cards, and sort of made like mini layouts for some of the pockets....she asked us not to teach her techniques.....hello......all she did was make a mini layout and I think I have been sewing on layouts since 2000 ....and other than fussy cutting...there were. I other techniques apart from using adhesive and a trimmer.

I found it an amusing thing to say!

The class I went to that Finnabair taught was a different scenario. Her stuff is very original, and quite different. True her layering is not unique, but the treatment of the elements is what makes it hers, the paint layering and the spraying etc.

I am going to try to make a page using techniques of hers soon, but as Rosey said put my own spin on it. At the time I was thinking there were some products I would use in place of stuff she did......it will be more of an inspired by .....class rather than a this is what .... does.

Are you sure her layering technique was truly original? I go to art fairs and a lot of techniques/layering of products/art supplies comes from the art world rather then crafting world. That is why I say there isn't any really "new" technique out there. It is all how YOU yourself apply it and I don't think there is a copyright on that.

cjjohnson 
SJ Grand Poobah
cjjohnson
Reg: 10-28-08

04-24-13 06:55 AM - Post#4057655    
    In response to Nora

Whenever I encounter a "scrapartist" who thinks they are original and can be proprietary I honestly think they are a bit of a buffoon.

First they are not original. As others have said it's all borrowed from other crafts, it's really all been done before.

Second IMO it violates the protocol of scrapbooking. Yes it's folk "art"... but really it's a creative outlet were (mostly) women get together and record their family story. The unique part is your family and their story.

Finally, it's not a contest. The idea that any technique belongs to someone is just plain silly.

All of this does not apply to digital artists and their cut files, etc. These things really were created by someone and if they can find a buyer I stand by their right to get paid and say it belongs to them.

ScrappinTraveler 
SJ Eloquent One
ScrappinTraveler
Reg: 10-12-09

04-29-13 09:43 AM - Post#4058217    
    In response to cjjohnson

• cjjohnson Said:
Whenever I encounter a "scrapartist" who thinks they are original and can be proprietary I honestly think they are a bit of a buffoon.

First they are not original. As others have said it's all borrowed from other crafts, it's really all been done before.

Second IMO it violates the protocol of scrapbooking. Yes it's folk "art"... but really it's a creative outlet were (mostly) women get together and record their family story. The unique part is your family and their story.

Finally, it's not a contest. The idea that any technique belongs to someone is just plain silly.

All of this does not apply to digital artists and their cut files, etc. These things really were created by someone and if they can find a buyer I stand by their right to get paid and say it belongs to them.

Totally agree with CJ! Digital is off the table. But when you're talking techniques like spraying, inking, painting, paper work, etc. . . you can find all of that on YouTube, somewhere there's someone who is doing or has done something like you're doing. . . just in a different way. As long as you don't copy her exact design I don't see how she can "claim" it, isn't that why it's called "Scraplifting"? :-)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
July 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.304 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 07:52 AM