Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Dilemma        (Topic#325699)
SchoolBusMom 
SJ Divalicious
SchoolBusMom
Reg: 08-23-07

03-01-13 10:56 PM - Post#4050287    

My oldest is graduating from Kent State University on May 10th. I am so proud of him!! He has a full-time position already and taking two college classes. My thing is, we have an in-law suite on our house(bed, bath, kitchen, living and eating area). Ryan moved in there when my dad passed(5 years ago). We have paid his way through college except the car he decided he wanted(we had a car for him). Now that he is working full-time, I dont have a clue what to charge him. He does pay his DVR bill, cell phone bill and car insurance. He paid his car off(2 years early). And of course he will have a few student loans.

This kid has always been a great kid. Honors through school and college.!! He is 22 and already has investments and ideas for patents.

My question is would you charge him rent?

I like my parents rule. That rule was in the 80's though. You could live in their house as long as you wanted without rent. But if you moved out and then returned, the rent was $200 a month. Although, if you wanted differnt toiletries and food than what they offered, that was on your own.

madimom_04 
SJ Divalicious
madimom_04
Reg: 02-05-06

03-01-13 11:56 PM - Post#4050293    
    In response to SchoolBusMom

I would say that with a full-time job, he needs to be paying some rent. Even if you don't need it, just to prove the adult responsibility. If you don't need it maybe you could invest it for his future.

michann 
Scrapjazz Contributor
michann
Reg: 01-09-06

03-01-13 11:59 PM - Post#4050295    
    In response to madimom_04

If you do charge him rent and don't need it, perhaps putting it in a fund for him that he doesn't know about. Most people are bound to fall on hard times at some time or another and that would be helpful.

I honestly don't see a reason for him to pay rent at 22 as long as he is doing his part around the house and paying for his own things.

WorkingMommy 
SJ Diva
WorkingMommy
Reg: 04-15-07

03-02-13 12:09 AM - Post#4050299    
    In response to michann

I would make him pay rent. Really just so he's used to paying for housing because surely someday soon he'll find the love of his life and want to move out.

If I didn't need the money, I would put it in a savings account (unknown to him). Then, when he was ready to move out on his own, give it to him. Could be a nice start on a house down payment or something.

kellcinn 
SJ Aficionada
kellcinn
Reg: 12-31-06

03-02-13 06:20 AM - Post#4050307    
    In response to WorkingMommy

Yes, we charged rent when they began working full time or brought a girlfriend in. I think it was $200 a month, in the late 90's early 2000's. We also helped pay off school loans, or a car loan for each kid. They have moved back at one time or another briefly, and rent was collected, but more just to cover food and utilities.

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

03-02-13 08:30 AM - Post#4050333    
    In response to kellcinn

Find out what the market rent value is and charge him half. It will help him get used to money going out that isn't for 'fun' but for necessities. Perhaps even tell him, this is the market value of the apt. We're going to charge you half that for rent but we encourage you to save the other half. Of course, that's up to you but we think it would be a good idea. (Besides if he's looking to patent some things, he'll need money for the patents. )

SchoolBusMom 
SJ Divalicious
SchoolBusMom

03-02-13 11:43 AM - Post#4050363    
    In response to kaleidoscope

Thanks ladies!!

I like the idea of tucking it away and giving it to him later.

scrapanda 
SJ Diva
scrapanda
Reg: 03-04-07

03-02-13 11:59 AM - Post#4050365    

Yes I agree with those ideas. I think once children are done school and especially if they have a job they need to have the experience of paying rent even if they are at home. It teaches them responsibilities and is good even if they are already a seemingly responsible person. And if you don't need it putting it away for him for later on is a fabulous idea. I don't know if I would personally tell them that right away. It may be better for them to think it is not coming back to them, more like 'real life'. And it would definitely be a nice surprise later on!
I wouldn't know what to suggest for a price though because I don't know what prices are like there. Here to rent an apartment or basement suite in a house etc it ranges from $500-800 a month for something decent.

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

03-02-13 12:17 PM - Post#4050373    
    In response to scrapanda

I like the ideas that you have been given. Already.....

...and go him!!!!!! You must be very proud

FloridaScrapper 
SJ Deity
FloridaScrapper
Reg: 07-02-04

03-02-13 05:58 PM - Post#4050401    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

what would it rent for if you rented it to anyone else?

scrappinmamma 
SJ Eloquent One
scrappinmamma
Reg: 01-07-07

03-03-13 12:10 AM - Post#4050427    
    In response to michann

• michann Said:
If you do charge him rent and don't need it, perhaps putting it in a fund for him that he doesn't know about. Most people are bound to fall on hard times at some time or another and that would be helpful.

I honestly don't see a reason for him to pay rent at 22 as long as he is doing his part around the house and paying for his own things.

I agree!

ridgiemom 
SJ Grand Poobah
ridgiemom
Reg: 05-09-08

03-03-13 08:51 AM - Post#4050435    
    In response to scrappinmamma

I would charge rent just so he gets used to it. And like others have said if you don't need that rent put it away for him without him knowing. When he goes to buy his first house you can give it back to him to use as a down payment or for repairs.

SchoolBusMom 
SJ Divalicious
SchoolBusMom

03-03-13 09:23 AM - Post#4050437    
    In response to ridgiemom

Thanks ladies and yes Sharon we are very proud of him. he was an easy kid to raise.

Christy Im not even sure what the suite would rent for. Technically in my township I cant rent it out because it would be considered a dual residence. When we built it it was built as a single family dwelling.

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

03-03-13 10:15 AM - Post#4050439    

I'd look up rents for 1 bedroom apts. Isn't that basically what it is?

PrincesssMommy 
SJ Eloquent One
PrincesssMommy
Reg: 07-26-06

03-03-13 04:31 PM - Post#4050483    
    In response to kaleidoscope

I would save the rent money from him and giveit to him when he's buying his own place. It would be great for him to have the extra money for down payment or furniture/appliances/repa irs.

HollerinRat 
SJ Divalicious
HollerinRat
Reg: 02-19-05

03-03-13 08:36 PM - Post#4050495    
    In response to PrincesssMommy

I was going to suggest saving the rent for him also. That is what my friend's dad did for him. He was mad when his parents charged him rent and then couldn't believe it when they had saved it all for his first house. Very sweet.

Also, I wouldn't buy him anything else either. He's old enough to start taking care of himself completely, and he sounds very responsible. I don't think you need to be buying his groceries and toiletries or such. You've done your part. Especially if you don't charge him full price for rent.

ScrappinAlli 
SJ Aficionada
ScrappinAlli
Reg: 11-09-10

03-04-13 02:56 PM - Post#4050553    
    In response to HollerinRat

Saw this and thought it might be fitting and I hope it helps:

She married him today.
At the end of the wedding party, her mother gave her a newly opened bank savings passbook, with $1000 deposited in it.
She told her, "My dear daughter, take this passbook. Keep it as a record of your married life. Whenever something happy and memorable happens in your new life, put some money in. Write down what it's about next to the amount. The more memorable
e the event is, the more money you can put in. I've done the first one for you today. Do the others with your husband. When you look back after years, you will know how much happiness you've both shared.'

She shared this with him after getting home. Both of them thought it was a great idea and couldn't wait to make the next deposit! This is what the passbook looked like after a while:

- 7 Feb: $100, his first birthday celebration after marriage
- 1 Mar: $300, she gets a salary raise
- 20 Mar: $200, vacation to Bali
- 15 Apr: $2000, She's pregnant!
- 1 Jun: $1000, He gets the big promotion
and so on...

However, as the years went by, they began fighting and arguing over trivial things. They didn't talk much. They regretted that they had married the most nasty person in the world...There was no more love.
One day she talked to her Mother. 'Mom, we can't stand it anymore. We have decided to divorce. I can't imagine how I decided to marry this guy!'

Her mother replied, 'Sure, that's no big deal. Just do whatever you want, if you really can't stand it. But before that, do one thing. Remember the savings passbook I gave you on your wedding day? Take out all money and spend it first. You shouldn't keep any record of such a poor marriage.'

She agreed with her. So she went to the bank, and was waiting in the queue to cancel the account. While she was waiting, she took a look at the passbook record. She looked, and looked, and looked. Then the memory of all the previous joyful moments came back to her. Her eyes were filled with tears. She left and went home.

When she got home, she handed the passbook to him and asked him to spend the money before getting divorced.

So the next day, he went to the bank, and was waiting in the queue to cancel the account. While he was waiting, he took a look at the passbook record. He looked, and looked, and looked. Then the memory of all the previous joyful moments came back to him. His eyes were filled with tears. He left and went home.

He gave the passbook back to her. She found a new deposit of $5000. And a line next to the record: 'This is the day I realized how much I've loved you throughout all these years. How much happiness you've brought me.'

They hugged and cried, putting the passbook back into the safe.

If you like this story then from now on give a print out of this story to every couple who is getting married along with a nice notebook to record their happy times...who know you may just be able to help them !!

SchoolBusMom 
SJ Divalicious
SchoolBusMom

03-04-13 04:36 PM - Post#4050575    
    In response to ScrappinAlli

I love that Alli!! Thank you!!!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
August 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.182 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 06:03 AM