Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Children "may grow out of" autism?        (Topic#324830)
RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

01-16-13 02:58 AM - Post#4040152    

Interesting.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21029593

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

01-16-13 09:04 AM - Post#4040168    
    In response to RedSquirrel

It is interesting, but you don't outgrow a neurobiological dysfunction. You can adapt and some symtoms may fade or disappear as you get older because you've adapted (or learned).

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-16-13 09:59 AM - Post#4040192    
    In response to kaleidoscope

Yes, I guess that's why "grow out of" is in quotes. They said that the brain learns to adapt.

But might that be what "outgrow" actually means? If your mind or body can't do something one way when it is young, but becomes able to do it when it is older, maybe that's because it has learned to do it another way.

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope

01-16-13 10:50 AM - Post#4040216    

I don't know. I don't like the way it's used because it's like saying it's not there anymore. But I'm not sure that it's not for the ones where it stops being obvious. It's just well hidden. Maybe what they don't see is the symptoms internalized or come out in private.
My son talks to himself A LOT. Thinking out loud. (and literally, it can be loud. ) But it's not something he does around other people - it was never noticed when he was in school. I think he had sometimes done it in the car or general living area but now he almost only does that when he's in his room. Although I assume if no one is home he'll do it anywhere in the house. He is especially prone to having long dialogues when he's stressed or anxious about something.

scrappinmamma 
SJ Eloquent One
scrappinmamma
Reg: 01-07-07

01-16-13 04:08 PM - Post#4040274    

I agree with you Tam. Even though my boys are mainstreamed, my little guy still has issues with making friends his own age.

I think that is why it is called a spectrum. It may seem that they outgrow things, but in reality, their caregivers and therapists have worked really hard to help them get better.

GwynnAsbury 
SJ Eloquent One
GwynnAsbury
Reg: 01-05-06

01-16-13 10:23 PM - Post#4040308    
    In response to scrappinmamma

There is also a large disagreement in the field about Autism and say Aspbergers. In my experience treating it and doing the behavioral interventions with children and their families there is a large range of functioning in children with "autism." Part of this is because funding for assistance in providing the support needed is only provided to families with children with a label of Autism, so often times children who struggle and will do well with support that can be offered are labeled as having "autism" when it is more likely to be Aspbergers or a mild form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder. It's like calling a Lion a Domestic House Cat........ It is concerning on a personal level that the article and the researchers might be implying that those who don't outgrow it, do not as a result of something about the person and not the Neurobiological aspect......

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-17-13 02:50 AM - Post#4040320    
    In response to GwynnAsbury

Yes, and the spectrum is so huge, and the causes unknown. Some of the behaviours on the spectrum could be caused by problems which turn out to be "temporary" (the cause goes away/the child learns to adapt), so the diagnosis could change. Others wouldn't. I've seen articles linking autism with diet (of mother and of child), to vaccinations, to pollution, to drugs - we just don't know.

Hijacking my own thread here, but I wish we didn't have label every disorder in order to get help. There's this advert going round here at the moment about getting your elderly forgetful parent to see a doctor for a dementia diagnosis. At the beginning of the ad the father is all misty and vague and the daughter worried, and then after seeing the doctor he goes solid again and both are smiling.

It makes me cross because there is no known cure and medication is very hit-and-miss, but the advert implies that just visiting your doctor will make everything all right again. The next thing I see is a news article reporting that 40%+ of doctors are refusing even to see dementia patients because there is no cure and they don't see the point. That's one government initiative gone very wrong!

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope

01-17-13 08:48 AM - Post#4040362    

My son has had several diagnoses, all under the umbrella. You can't even get them to agree. And then they gave him co-existing diagnoses which may in fact (and IMO is) just part of the disorder. I signed off for the dev. pedi at Dartmouth to get all his records but apparently he did not. I don't know if it would have changed is opinon or not. That dr. labeled him Aspergers. Several months later (because it takes awhile to get in) he had seen a child psychologist and that dr. agreed with me that he was on the autism spectrum diagnosis. (My son had mild language delay and presented with echolalia in learning speech. He also had difficulty with questions like how, why, etc. In first grade he could tell you he was sad, he could tell you he was crying, but he could not tell you why. He just said he had tears.) Then recently I read about another evaluation report I hadn't seen and that one mentioned PDD-NOS.

GwynnAsbury 
SJ Eloquent One
GwynnAsbury
Reg: 01-05-06

01-17-13 08:51 PM - Post#4040712    

I could have a whole soap box about all this. But for me it boils down to helping those who need help regardless of their "diagnosis."

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
October 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.142 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 11:29 AM