Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
 Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Frustration with adhesives that don't last...        (Topic#324742)
scrappylilme 
SJ Devotee

Reg: 04-17-12

01-10-13 08:17 PM - Post#4038878    

It seems that every time I open one of my scrapbooks I find an embellishment or a photo or something that has come loose from its adhesive. This happens in albums that are several years old and ones that are fairly recent. I have tried so many different types of adhesives and it seems to happen with all of them. The only thing I don't use is a glue stick. I've tried tape runners, special embellishment glues, Tombo mono aqua, you name it. Nothing seems to hold its "stickyness" for very long. What good is it to have photos that are guaranteed to last a hundred years if the layouts themselves don't stand the test of time? Is there a magical adhesive I don't know about? Any tips or ideas to help my layouts from falling apart?

WorkingMommy 
SJ Diva
WorkingMommy
Reg: 04-15-07

01-10-13 09:29 PM - Post#4038894    
    In response to scrappylilme

My stuff has all stayed stuck so far, but I've only scrapbooked for about seven years. I use mostly ATG adhesive. I also live in a really dry climate, it's possible that helps ?

Where do you store them? Could it be really humid there or something? Or really cold?

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

01-11-13 03:30 AM - Post#4038900    
    In response to WorkingMommy

How strange, and annoying.

Over the last 5 years I've lived in the tropics (hot and humid), the desert (very hot and cold and dry), and England (mainly cold and wet!)

I've found that cards and minis which I have kept out in the strong sunlight didn't last long. But LOs in page protectors kept upright in albums on shelves have been pretty good. I've had alpha fall off (mainly Thickers before I learned to use extra adhesive) but that's about it.

How much adhesive are you using for your elements? Do you use half a roll of tape for every LO, or just dabs here and there? Are you trying to stick stuff to glitter paper, or glossy paper? Are you using liquid adhesive that dries hard on flimsy paper and crumbles?

There are so many variables. Are you sure there is no common theme, such as a faulty batch of tape runners?

GAKropper 
SJ Devotee

Reg: 07-31-03

01-11-13 09:37 AM - Post#4038970    
    In response to RedSquirrel

I have heard of people having this problem, but I have not experienced it so far. Of course I tend to use a lot of adhesive.

scrapanda 
SJ Diva
scrapanda
Reg: 03-04-07

01-11-13 11:28 AM - Post#4039004    
    In response to GAKropper

I have been pretty good with using the ATG. I do notice it is much harder to get things to stick to special papers such as glittery or velvety paper and even some textured paper but since using the ATG even that has been easier!

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper
Reg: 03-15-03

01-11-13 11:35 AM - Post#4039010    
    In response to scrapanda

I have had LOs and mini albums come apart, but I think it was the type of adhesive I used back then. Back then, the main adhesives I used were purchased at Walmart, like the "duck tape" (red case), and something I bought in the crafting/scrapping section. Don't remember the name, but it was a blue case. They said "permanent", but certainly not!!!

So far, I have had good luck with my Tombow mono adhesive, and my Glue Glider pro. For harder to hold items, I've been using my Scotch Quick Dry. Hopefully, these will withstand the passage of time....

scrappylilme 
SJ Devotee

01-11-13 09:20 PM - Post#4039182    
    In response to buttonscrapper

Thank you all for the helpful input! To answer some of the questions, I live in the midwest (USA), so no temperature or humidity extremes, my layouts are in page protectors in albums standing up on a shelf in a room that gets sunny in the afternoon but they are not in direct sunlight. I never use glitter paper or anything much besides regular cardstock and patterned paper. I've decided not to use tape runners anymore. I've been using Tombo mono lately and I think I'll stick to that (no pun intended) for a while, although I've noticed that if I apply it too generously it can cause a little buckling of the paper (but not cardstock). I'll look into the ATG and Glue Glider Pro too. Thank you all so much again!

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-12-13 03:55 AM - Post#4039202    

You're welcome, I hope you figure out the problem.

I've been using mostly double-sided tape for years. It's fierce stuff - before Christmas I used so much that the skin on my finger ends got sore!

But I got an ATG for Christmas so it will be interesting to see how that stands up against the double-sided tape.

Actually here's an idea. On the backs of my LOs I write in pencil the products I've used, and the date. But until now I have never bothered noting the adhesive . Now I will. Maybe you could do that too, and you could monitor which adhesives stand the test of time the best?

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

01-12-13 09:57 AM - Post#4039218    

Good idea Rosey!!

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

01-12-13 02:55 PM - Post#4039260    

I have found the early layouts when I used the zig pen have had things fall off.....

Since I started using the tombow green top glue....no issues.

Also use the atg and tombow rollers so will be interested to see how they fare over time

Kazzam 
SJ Diva
Kazzam
Reg: 01-15-06

01-12-13 07:37 PM - Post#4039362    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

Sharon I have to agree. When I started I used the zig pens and my layouts started to fall apart a couple of years later. Now I use Tombow blue top liquid for chipboard and embellies and double sided tape for the rest. I still use the ball point zig pen for fine titles and they haven't let go but nothing with any weight. The last couple of years I haven't had any problems with layouts coming apart. I live in a hot humid area without air-cond so my albums do get affected by temps.

scrappylilme 
SJ Devotee

01-13-13 12:13 PM - Post#4039452    

This is a great idea! I sometimes sneak in extra journaling on the backs of my layouts. This might sound silly, but my thought is that rarely does anyone take a layout out of its protector to look at it, so I occasionally put special journaling on the backs in hopes that future generations might discover these "secret" messages from me. But I am definitely going to start listing the products I used on each layout for my own info, especially the adhesives!

soccamom94 
SJ Grand Poobah

Reg: 12-29-05

01-13-13 06:07 PM - Post#4039498    

I've been a Zig pen user from the beginning. About 9 years. I have found the same problem but I hate to give up my Zig. The only other adhesive I use is Zots. I can't imagine that they won't withstand time. But I may have to switch adhesives. I haven't really had anything fall off, but I find edges lifted and layered papers coming apart. What is an ATG exactly?

Mirth 
SJ Devotee
Mirth
Reg: 07-17-12

01-13-13 10:25 PM - Post#4039562    
    In response to soccamom94

I don't use any wet adisive anymore. After working in the craft world for 13 years I have learned that they just don't stand the test of time. They dry to hard so any jarring or bending of the pages causes the glue to crack and the things to fall off. Also remember the right adhesive for the right item is also very important. This is my list of my most fave adhesives.

Herma dotto :flat light objects

Glue dots /Zots : dimensional stiff embellishments ( The rubber quality to this kind of adhesive lets the adhesive bend under the stiff elements keeping them from popping off the pages)

Terrifically Tacky Tape : Ribbons , pocket pages (this kind of adhesive had a depth to it that allows it to shape and embed itself into ribbons. It is also good for making borders of beads or glitter. It is able to wrap itself around these small items and hold on strong. For pocket pages it is a strong adhesive that will keep your pocket from pulling off when you put items in the pocket. The adhesive will give you the extra stretch you need.

white Mounting squares by 3L: I use this on all of my photos, the white paper core allows you to remove a photo without damaging it. The paper core separates leaving a square on the photo and one on the paper. Leaving you with an un damaged photo.

Aleene's tacky glue : if I have something that really needs a liquid glue I use this one. It dose not dry hard it remains soft this keeps your items from popping off.

If you have never checked into Zyron machines I would recment it. I love mine so much i have 3 different sizes. It covers the entire back of your item with whatever is in the cartridge you are currently using. Depending on what size machine you have you have the following cold (no electricity) cartridge options.
* temporary adhesive
* perment adhesive
* laminate on both sides
* laminate on the front and adhesive on the back
* magnet on the back laminate on the front
* magnet on the back
I might be forgeting one but you get the idea. The smallest size machine is the sticker maker at 1.5 inches i love that one for small punches ect. the largets is 9 inches the biger the maching the more cartrage options you have.

Hope this novle helps someone.... and please forgive the typing i can not get use to using a laptop.

Edited by Mirth on 01-13-13 10:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-14-13 02:41 AM - Post#4039578    
    In response to Mirth

Hey Mirth, good to see you again!

I've seen Aleene's here in the UK, but only the non-acid-free version. I've been keeping my eyes open for the acid-free bottle for years. I have one by Kay and Company (I think ) which doesn't dry brittle. I just managed to break the nozzle so I have to find another bottle.

My Xyron drives me crazy. I can't stand the spiders' webs of goo all over everything. I wish there was a good way of stopping that happening.

Glue Dots - absolutely agree, they're the best all round. And plain ole double-sided tape. I used Xpress-It in Australia but again, it is only available here in non-acid-free. Grr.

Your Terrifically Tacky Tape, I think might be the same kind of thing as our Stix-2-Anything. that's the stuff that took the skin off my fingers when I was working with it for the craft fair.

The ATG is made by Scotch/3M. The tape is weird, kind of stringy. Not unlike the Xyron glue actually. I got it for Christmas so I'll be interested to see how it holds up.

Mirth 
SJ Devotee
Mirth
Reg: 07-17-12

01-14-13 06:21 PM - Post#4039752    

Rosey you reminded me when you said that the tacky glue is not acid free. though I do love the tacky glue I was thinking of Glossy accents by inkssentials. LOVE that stuff it dries crystal clear so you can not only use it as glue but you can use it to give embellishments an acrylic look.

I don't get spiders with my xyron. I always rub the relece sheet down really good before I peal it off. and I realy don't have any problems with it... sorry that you do.

Glad to be back I was working 2 jobs for awhile so I was never ever ever home.

Edited by Mirth on 01-14-13 06:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-15-13 02:59 AM - Post#4039834    
    In response to Mirth

• Mirth Said:
I don't get spiders with my xyron. I always rub the relece sheet down really good before I peal it off.

Yes I tried that too, rubbed really well with a "bone" paper scorer. It didn't work. I only use it with tiny things like punched shapes, die-cut alphas or adding extra adhesive to chipboard alphas. There are always lots of bits for the adhesive to stick to. Ah well. There are worse things to complain about!

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper

01-15-13 10:55 AM - Post#4039942    

With the "X" Xyron, it has that plastic film over it, so you can use a bone folder or stylus to go around your letter or shape so you don't have the sticky ashesive on the edges.

With the larger Xyron (and I only have the 5 inch wide one), there is no plastic film when you pull it through. It goes on a roller inside. If I have some plastic film left from my "X", or even from my 5 inch wide, I save it and use that to wipe the edges. Works for me! No sticky mess!!

scrapnut121412 
SJ Newbie
scrapnut121412
Reg: 01-29-13

01-30-13 07:42 PM - Post#4043810    

the "red" double sided tape sticks to everything, good luck getting it off lol. I also love my xyron and glue dots. I also like to use the vario squares. :-) my stuff always sticks and i store my albums in a cool area and upright.

LHP33064 
SJ Newbie

Reg: 06-26-07

02-18-13 02:18 PM - Post#4047960    
    In response to scrapnut121412

I use Kokuyo Dotliner Long for everyday paper and picture adherance as well as Dotliner Power for heavier items.

I use Scotch Liquid for things like ribbon and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
August 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.158 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 07:49 PM