Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
 Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Does Anyone Do the Paleo Diet?        (Topic#324584)
scrappinmamma 
SJ Grand Poobah
scrappinmamma
Reg: 01-07-07

01-03-13 10:48 PM - Post#4036634    

Hi,

I have friends doing it and I really need to loose weight.

I have a GF who says that you should only eat egg whites; but the books I bought and everything I read says the yolk is the best part of the egg.

Do you feel better on it? Have you lost weight? Do you use Agave in-place of honey?

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

01-04-13 12:36 AM - Post#4036660    
    In response to scrappinmamma

I would say it's similiar to 'clean eating' and eating gluten free. You're basically eliminating white sugar, white flour, and processed foods right?

I still eat complex carbs, but no white flour, no white sugar, no gluten, and very little processed foods.

I use pure maple syrup, agave, sucanat, and honey as sweeteners. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

01-04-13 03:31 AM - Post#4036686    
    In response to 3 Little Ladies

I (try to) follow the Blood Type Diet which is the same principle, just one step further. Paleo is eating the things which our ancestors would have eaten. Blood Type takes into account that the blood types evolved to cope with what our ancestors were eating. The first blood type was O, the hunters and gatherers; then the As, the agriculturalists; then Bs, the animal herders; then ABs.

As Jen says, it's about eating clean, unprocessed foods wherever possible.

When I, an O, went on the diet strictly in 2007 I lost about 14lbs in a month, and it stayed off. DH is an A and he lost about 2lbs a month throughout the first year. We didn't even go on the diet to lose weight, it was for our health.

We now only eat compliantly at home, but we're still within the healthy range of weight/BMI. I catered all over Christmas, I cooked/baked compliant food for our visitors (all As ) and although we gorged ourselves, none of us have put any holiday weight on. That says it all, doesn't it?

Good luck, and let us know what you do?

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

01-04-13 08:48 AM - Post#4036712    
    In response to RedSquirrel

I don't know anything about the diet but the yolk has all the vitamins/minerals and the white is made up of protein. So I would just go with the whole egg for the most nutrition.

gingersfavorite 
SJ Queen of the Crop
gingersfavorite
Reg: 08-13-07

01-04-13 09:06 AM - Post#4036724    
    In response to kaleidoscope

my stepsister is doing it and seems very pleased with it!

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies

01-04-13 10:54 AM - Post#4036734    
    In response to gingersfavorite

I have the Blood Type Diet book too. Love it! I've never been a follower of a 'diet', but it made a lot of sense to me. I'm O and so many of the common ailments of O fit me, and I had already eliminated most of the foods that they suggest I eliminate because of how they made me feel.

I forgot to add that I lost over 80 lbs since I quit eating white flour, white sugar, and processed foods.

scrappinmamma 
SJ Grand Poobah
scrappinmamma

01-04-13 12:31 PM - Post#4036762    

Wow!

You are all an inspiration to me! I know that both you Jenn and Rosey had lost quite a bit of weight, so good for you and thank you for responding!

I need to loose at least 40; but I would love to loose 50 pounds to get back to the old me. Since my surgery I now have my body systems working properly and I can start working out again.

I started thinking the other day that when I was growing up, the only time I ate bread was with a sandwich, my snack was an apple or orange. And half of our dinner plate was vegetables, a tiny bit of potatoes and meat. I rarely got candy, except for Halloween and Easter. And our only other treat was ice cream. I was thin and had so much energy.

Now, I want to get back to the health and energy level I had before I got sick.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies

01-04-13 12:35 PM - Post#4036766    

Don't you feel so much better? I do! I swear it felt like those fibroids were poisoning my body. The bloat that I had is almost completely gone now. I've already lost 5 of the 15 lbs I gained before my surgery, and 3" around my waist.

scrappinmamma 
SJ Grand Poobah
scrappinmamma

01-04-13 12:37 PM - Post#4036770    

Oh and Jenn, I forgot to add in my research, it is very close to a gluten-free diet; so for snacks for my boys, I am switching to gluten-free flours and so forth; so I guess we'll be a Paleo/Gluten-free home.

Jenn, what kind of milk do your girls drink? Right now my boys are on Organic low-fat milk; but I'm thinking of changing it to rice or almond milk.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies

01-04-13 12:44 PM - Post#4036774    

The girls and dh drink organic, and I rarely drink milk. I get 1/2 gallon of lactose free milk and it lasts two weeks or more. Sometimes I have to pitch it because it goes beyond the expiration date.

I've heard that the almond milk tastes better then the rice milk.

If you need gluten free recipes or product suggestions just ask.

scrappinmamma 
SJ Grand Poobah
scrappinmamma

01-04-13 12:45 PM - Post#4036776    

Yes Jenn, I really do! I have zero pain and I no longer have panic attacks when I drive. I realized it was my body's way of dealing with the pain; because I couldn't breathe.

I was septic, because nothing was coming into my bladder from my right kidney and since my bladder was folded over and my urethra was strangulated, very little was coming out of my left kidney. And since everything was pressing on my colon; nothing was coming out of there either. Sorry TMI

The bloat has gone down and I have lost 7 pounds since the surgery, without trying.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies

01-04-13 12:50 PM - Post#4036780    

...and my Dr said having fibroids doesn't cause weight gain. He said it's calories in, calories out. Thing is I didn't change anything nutrition wise.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-04-13 12:52 PM - Post#4036782    

That is amazing girls! How wonderful to feel so much better that you WANT to get back in shape again. I think that's the biggest battle, don't you? If you're feeling crappy, any change seems like so much of an effort.

As far as it being a "diet" is concerned, it never felt like a diet. It was a lifestyle, grocery shopping and cooking choice. It was hard at first, I won't lie to you. But within a month or two I was feeling so much better and loving the challenge.

I now have many friends and nearly all my family following it, and they call me for advice. I'm just so stinking proud of how they're all doing! MIL's "funny turns" are down to once a year when she's bad, instead of once or twice a month. FIL hasn't had any bad episodes since he lapsed big-time last year and spent a few days in hospital as a result. My Mum and a good friend (both type A) have reduced their bathroom requirements from 7+ urgent calls to once or twice a day without accidents. My BFF is super-sensitive and SMSes me a lot for advice.

Good luck!

scrappinmamma 
SJ Grand Poobah
scrappinmamma

01-04-13 03:07 PM - Post#4036850    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks Rosey and Jenn!

scrappinmamma 
SJ Grand Poobah
scrappinmamma

01-04-13 03:13 PM - Post#4036856    

Yes Rosey that is so true! I barely had energy to take care of my kids, let alone myself. And I think not feeling good but not having the strength to try was a double-whammy psychologically.

Judge Amy 
SJ Diva
Judge Amy
Reg: 01-27-05

01-06-13 10:59 AM - Post#4037244    

Here is a Paleo diet book - free today on the Kindle.

If you don't have a kindle, download the desktop app and get the book to read for free.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWBH9JM/ref=as_ li_qf_s...

Judge Amy 
SJ Diva
Judge Amy
Reg: 01-27-05

01-06-13 11:00 AM - Post#4037246    
    In response to Judge Amy

I also follow this blog of daily free Kindle books, she is a homesteader and has lots of recipe books in her list of freebies, I have gotten several Paleo diet books through her blog

http://pamspriderecommend ations.blogspot.com/2013/...

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

01-06-13 12:22 PM - Post#4037282    
    In response to Judge Amy

So Rosey......

What is a typical weeks menu for you as an "a" ????

I am an a too, just wondering if I could do this.......

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

01-06-13 02:32 PM - Post#4037330    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

My son is an O. He lives on grains and milk and less on animal proteins. This diet wouldn't be good for him. He doesn't like most meat (basically he will eat chicken, turkey, shrimp, and haddock). Not very many fruits/veggies he likes either.

I'm a type A. I have to say - his description fits me.

• Quote:
He also points out that the following factors are known to increase cortisol levels and increase mental exhaustion for Type As - be aware and limit your exposure when possible:
Crowds of people
Loud noise
Negative emotions
Smoking
Strong smells or perfumes
Too much sugar and starch
Overwork
Violent TV and movies
Lack of sleep
Extreme weather conditions (hot or cold)

I like smelling perfume on other people (unless it's excessively strong) but I don't wear it because every time I try I find it way too much scent around me and takes a long time to fade. I hate walking past stores like BBW and any other where they sell a ton of scented products. I couldn't work there, I'd have a headache!

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

01-06-13 03:05 PM - Post#4037344    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

Sharon, I'm an O. The whole of the rest of my family and DH and his are all As.

I can give you some favourite examples which we can both eat. I only cook with olive oil, and I don't keep avoids in the house, so I'm not even tempted.

1) Salmon fried with cumin, steamed broccoli and "dirty rice" (rice fried in olive oil with raisins, half a teaspoon of curry powder, a little soy sauce and some dried herbs)

2) Chicken breasts baked with a feta cheese and dried herbs crumb on top. Serve with mashed pumpkin and kale.

3) Frittata with portabello mushrooms, onions, celery, courgettes, maybe a little smoked salmon on top. Filling enough to serve by itself.

4) Tuna steak rolled in sesame seeds and flash fried, with pumpkin chunks steamed with ginger powder and silverbeet (chard). Works well because the bitterness of the chard is counteracted by the sweetness of the pumpkin.

5) Egg fried rice with onions, garlic and whatever veggies we have in the fridge. Type As do well not eating animal protein every day.

6) I make my own flax (linseed) meal bread, and we usually have that grilled with mozzarella cheese on a weekend night.

7) For Sunday lunch you could have a roast chicken with veggies. Just pick your veggies to suit your type; pumpkin, carrots, broccoli, runner beans, green peas, celeriac instead of potato, parsnips, swede, turnip, kale, spinach, silverbeet. I made a delicious "stuffing" at Christmas from steamed rice, olive oil, mushrooms, onions, fresh thyme and sage. It was a major hit.

You should NOT be eating: beef, pig, tomatoes, capsicums (peppers), aubergines (eggplant), and above all potatoes and corn. Wheat and cows' milk products (except yoghurt) are other baddies, although As can get away with them a little better than Os. It's best to avoid them though. Rice is much more easily digested. Coffee and red and white wine are beneficial for you lucky As! As far as fruit is concerned, bananas and oranges are out. Dark chocolate is good!

Does that help?

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
April 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.327 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 11:28 AM