Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Purge lessons required        (Topic#324532)
Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

01-02-13 03:44 AM - Post#4036022    

I suck at purging stuff in my scrap room.

Help!!!! How do I go about it? I have so much stuff.
What do you get rid of and why?
I have no problems with places to gift it to, it's just what to ditch! I might need it...........

......hoarder at heart

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

01-02-13 05:08 AM - Post#4036030    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

I'm not much help I'm afraid. When I purge, I pull out all the stuff that hasn't seen daylight for a while. I separate it into piles of "like" and "meh". Then I make a pledge to myself to use it, "meh" pile first. And I do, 'cos you know I like a challenge! That's not really purging, is it?

Actually, I also have a box of things that I've been given which I know I will never use. A small box. Those items get RAKed.

I suppose the real answer to purging is to use your stuff up as quickly as you buy it.

ETA: I don't RAK paper. I don't think I've ever found papers which I won't use for something. Even if it isn't to my taste, it will be for someone else. I like making gifts and cards.

Edited by RedSquirrel on 01-02-13 05:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GwynnAsbury 
SJ Eloquent One
GwynnAsbury
Reg: 01-05-06

01-02-13 06:33 AM - Post#4036060    
    In response to RedSquirrel

When it comes to purging, I have found that I am also terrible at it. I have piles that are dedicated to being use - these I have been turning into Smash books. I also have a box in which I have been placing this and that that I will either NEVER use or I have gotten tired of and replaced with something I like better (i.e. punches and such). This box is kept to the side and I use it for RAKs. I know one lady that had a give and take box - when we had get togethers you could give and take from the give and take box.

To be honest, I have had problems with purging because I have found that once I go through my stash and purge I will then regret it and think of something to use the items that I purged for...... Does that make sense?

Scrapjanny 
Scrapjazz Contributor
Scrapjanny
Reg: 09-06-07

01-02-13 08:32 AM - Post#4036116    
    In response to GwynnAsbury

I go through my supplies every 6 months or so, and I separate everything into 2 boxes and a bag. I ask myself 3 questions: 1. Do I love it? 2. Do I need it? 3. Am I going to use it within the next 6 months?

All of the leftover sticker letters and partial sticker sheets that I know I won't finish will go into the bag to be thrown away. (That's why I'm very selective with my sticker/letter purchases now, and I don't have many.)

In one of the boxes, I put all of the supplies that I know that I won't be using, but that my daughter's school would make good use of: papers, full (or almost full) sticker sheets and packages of embellishments, etc.

In the other box, I put things that I will PIF or give away to friends and family. These would be sets of stamps, larger tools, and inkpads.

Everything else gets sorted and put back into my storage drawers and bins.

I hope this helps. It feels really good to give away things that I know I'm not going to use. You really have to be honest with yourself, though, when it comes to deciding to let something go. It might have looked great when you bought it, but are you really going to use it in the near future?

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

01-02-13 10:29 AM - Post#4036128    
    In response to Scrapjanny

Excellent advice. The only part that wouldn't work with me is "within the next 6 months". I love looking through my old stuff and finding things which haven't been used for years, and giving them a new lease of life. I suppose I'm weird.

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

01-02-13 12:51 PM - Post#4036162    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Another thing...... When I started scrapping in the dark ages......vellum was huge. I have every vellum known to man....and guess what's been making a comeback??????

Yup vellum!

I'm not going to buy any, but see how things wax and wane! If you wait long enough it will come back into fashion lol

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

01-02-13 03:08 PM - Post#4036214    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

I rarely purge my scrapbooking supplies. If it isn't something I think I'll end up using I normally give it to my dd's for their crafts. Now that they are Smashing they are asking me for more.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
August 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.18 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 09:17 AM