Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: I swear!!!!!        (Topic#323522)
carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum
Reg: 12-27-05

11-15-12 01:46 PM - Post#4026026    

Some of the stuff Bianca's teacher is asking the kids to do is just impossible without heavy adult help. I don't mind helping but I feel like Bianca gets stressed out trying to do projects that she can't understand. This is definitely going to be one of the subjects I will bring up at conferences next week. That and the fact that she is completely dismissed when she asks her math teacher to explain an assignment again to her with replies like "it doesn't matter, it was extra credit anyway." or "don't worry it doesn't count towards your grade". How about explaining it to her anyway so she learns it? Grand idea there buster... I'm so sick of this crap! She wants to learn and is in an advanced math class. Please don't push her aside because it might not be convenient to explain something to her again.

I wish I could say that I have the best attitude towards the teachers this year, but the truth is that I've been seeing things that really bug me and are proving detrimental to the girls. I see a lot of laziness this year. Not sure if it's general discontent among teachers or what.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

11-16-12 06:08 PM - Post#4026262    
    In response to carpe scrapum

That does seem strange that she's being given assignments which she hasn't been taught, and doesn't have to know. What kind of curriculum is this?

Poor kid - she cares too much to be mucked about like that.

3 Little Ladies 
SJ Deity
3 Little Ladies
Reg: 03-10-05

11-16-12 07:12 PM - Post#4026270    
    In response to RedSquirrel

I would definitely bring up your concerns at parent/teacher conferences.

Lillianne's math teacher yelled at the class the other day. Some of the kids skipped Pre-Algebra, like Lillianne, and went straight to Algebra. She said she's tired of hearing students mention that when they ask questions. She says it is something they should already know, but how can they if they skipped it? They go back and forth. Lillianne also said she doesn't respond well when students do ask questions. The only way she seems to repeat something is if the whole class is struggling. One positive is that students are talking through the problems and helping each other out. Lillianne said a lot of times when she doesn't get something someone sitting near her does and visa versa. This is the only teacher she's struggling with this year.

carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum

11-16-12 09:14 PM - Post#4026272    
    In response to 3 Little Ladies

My niece has a horrible teacher this year, she's in the same district, and got a great report card but is struggling with self confidence as a result of her yelling. I would be all over that like flies on poop.

michann 
Scrapjazz Contributor
michann
Reg: 01-09-06

11-16-12 10:45 PM - Post#4026300    
    In response to carpe scrapum

Something to help her out is the khan academy, they have great tutoring videos. They also have a free app that we put on Jenna's ipod so she could watch videos about things she has questions on for math.

I had a math teacher like that in jr high and again in HS. I honestly hated math from 8th grade on. Now math is my favorite subject to teach.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

11-17-12 03:09 AM - Post#4026314    
    In response to michann

Same here with the maths teacher. Ours was called Mrs Pepper, and she wouldn't answer questions if you didn't get it the first time. If you put your hand up she would ignore you, if you called out she would tell you to be quiet, and if you went up to her table with your book to ask, she would send you back to your seat.

I used to try to understand, honestly, but I'd end up sitting in class close to tears. After a few weeks of this, resentment set in and I didn't even bother to try. What was the use? I remember so well how I felt.

carpe scrapum 
SJ Divalicious
carpe scrapum

11-17-12 05:26 AM - Post#4026322    
    In response to RedSquirrel

I'm really pretty upset about it and will have to do an attitude check at the door before conferences. Bianca is a kid hungry for knowledge, I can see it in her. It reminds me a lot of me when I was young but I never had the support around me to understand a lot of things. I don't want that for her so I invest a lot of time making sure she has the tools she needs to satisfy her curiosity for all things academic.

Mia, I feel, is getting lost in the shuffle. She is one of those kids who has an innate common sense that gets her through things she doesn't fully understand. Meaning she gets to the answer of a problem using her common sense but can't put the process down on paper properly. I doubt the teacher ever even noticed. I mentioned it before and I always get the same answer "she's above average in every subject". I'm not convinced... I have to do some thinking on how I will approach this with the teacher since the signs are very subtle.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
September 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.26 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 10:17 AM