Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: Scrapjazz articles - your input requested        (Topic#321890)
boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom
Reg: 09-28-05

09-06-12 07:48 AM - Post#4008660    

We've received a lot of great input for the articles from the other thread: providing feedback, updating the bios/profiles, linking the gallery, etc. Those changes will be implemented over the next few months.

Now, we would like to know what you would like to read about in these articles? Recently we've moved to more themes to be in-line with the store. Do you like that or is there something else you would like to see more of?

Would you like more tutorials and technique articles? Are there any particular techniques that you would like to learn about?

What about product reviews? We used to have a lot but now very few. What about product reviews only on big ticket items and tools?

We used to have a sketch challenge at the beginning of the month and a color challenge in the middle of the month, but these were stopped. Would you like us to bring either of them back?

We used to have a lot of storage articles and scraproom tours, but there are less of them now. I think we've covered a lot of it already. Are there organization topics that you would like to see?

Photography articles? How about photography tips embedded into theme articles?

What about Step-by-step instructions? We used to have a lot of these. I assume most people here are more advanced and don't need that, but wondered what everyone else thinks.

What else?

Please respond to this thread with your thoughts and I'll be collecting the input and reporting to the editor and team. If someone writes something you agree with, it would be great if you add your input as well so we know that more than one person feels that way.

If you have a thought or comment that you don't want to make public, feel free to send me a PM.

Louise

Edited by boysmom on 09-06-12 08:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

09-06-12 03:17 PM - Post#4008802    
    In response to boysmom

Good questions Louise.

I'm happy giving my own opinions, and I know that other people will not necessarily agree with me - you'll have a hard job keeping everyone happy!

In order:
I like themed articles, but not ONLY articles about themes. Having them scattered around with other subjects would be better I think.

I do like technique articles, because new techniques are coming out or being thought up all the time. And this is connected to the products reviews.

Not only tools, new products appear and I wouldn't know what to do with half of them. I would like to see new ways of using products - and pictures are really, really important.

I like sketches. I like seeing articles on how someone has made a sketch into a LO and also a card. I'm not bothered about the step-by-step, just little tips and tricks on specific techniques which might be unusual or new. Or links to where else in the articles database a particular technique has been described already.

The colour challenges I'm not so enthusiastic about to be honest. Didn't we used to have a "scrap by color" gadget? What happened to it?

I have to stop now.... more tomorrow....

Kazzam 
SJ Diva
Kazzam
Reg: 01-15-06

09-06-12 04:35 PM - Post#4008840    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Here's my opinion, other people may not be interested in these ideas.

I would like to see articles on new techniques. Maybe ideas for using the small 6x6 paper packs on larger layouts, grouping embellishments and what makes it work and what doesn't. Recycling items, giving old supplies a new twist, making your own embellishments etc.

I like seeing themes and the ideas on using the new products. I really loved it when the blue crew used to do layouts each month.

Since digital layouts are taking off, ideas on storing your digital kits and ways to keep everything neat and tidy on the computer. Maybe step by step digital layouts using different techniques.

Photography tips would be great. Using basic manual functions on your camera.

That's it for the moment. If I think of anything else I'll be back.

cjjohnson 
SJ Grand Poobah
cjjohnson
Reg: 10-28-08

09-06-12 05:38 PM - Post#4008870    
    In response to Kazzam

I like techniques and information regarding the latest products.

Not only the tools and Tim Holtz style insanity but also the latest BG (or anyone really) line, thoughts on the accessories since many of us don't see them in person before ordering. I know you can't really review because you can't say anything bad about what you are selling but let us know your favorites. *wink, wink*

Nora always has interesting challenges and perhaps there can be some coordination. Say Nora challenges us to make a portion of the page 3 or more layers deep and the article is about what works and doesn't work when layering.

I also think we all need to respect the newbies... after all they spend a ton of money stash building. At least one out 4 articles should be written directly for them. The simple stuff.

My ideas are kind of lame, but that's all I've got.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

09-07-12 01:45 AM - Post#4008958    
    In response to cjjohnson

CJ is right about the newbies. Keep the basic level of some of the current articles for some of them - but give the more experienced of us something more to get our teeth into.

I love the idea about co-ordinating Nora's challenges with the articles, but if they are written several months in advance and nobody knows when they are to be published, that's going to be tricky. It shouldn't be impossible though.

Can we have information about art design as well? Shapes and placement, the rule of threes, symmetry? After all this isn't only about selling products or copying other people's work, it's about creating a balanced design for ourselves.

And maybe other styles of scrapbooking which haven't been mentioned, like the French style?

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

09-07-12 02:59 AM - Post#4008982    
    In response to cjjohnson

The Thing I would like to see most is articles with more advanced techniques. Like many on the board, we have been scrapping for years, and basic layouts just don't do it for me any more. Yes, they have a place in educating the newbies, but advanced scrappers need inspiration too

Love the idea of how to use the wee pads.....most paper ranges have a six by six pad available and it would be great to see ideas on how to use it on layouts and not just cards.

Love the idea of product reviews. There is lots of new stuff out there we would love to have inspiration on how to use in a novel way.

I love sketches, but I would love to see a few different takes on a sketch..........

Love technique based articles for advanced techniques as well as the more basic for the newbies.

I would also love to see some articles on the cross over paper arts like art journalling, off the page projects, how to use other craft ideas in your scrapbooks.

Love the idea of recycle reuse reinvent.

Ideas for frugal scrapbooking.....there are many on a budget. How to make the scrap dollar go further without impinging on creativity.

Organisation ideas are always welcome. We are nosy creatures and love to peek inside others scrap rooms lol. Really love the ideas people use in their scrap room that don't break the bank.

I used to love an article in a local mag here, where they showed three pages....one basic, one intermediate and one advanced. All using the same products but with added twists to pimp them up. So same photos, same general layout, but how different they look with added touches, product to make them POP !!!!!!

I would love to see a mix of styles represented.....shabby, flowery, graphic, simple, heritage, arty, all sorts

Good luck....and look forward to seeing more of your great work girls.

cjjohnson 
SJ Grand Poobah
cjjohnson

09-07-12 05:00 AM - Post#4008996    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

• Kiwifarmer Said:
I used to love an article in a local mag here, where they showed three pages....one basic, one intermediate and one advanced. All using the same products but with added twists to pimp them up. So same photos, same general layout, but how different they look with added touches, product to make them POP !!!!!!

This is a great idea. It''s good for noobs and us old hats.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

09-07-12 05:06 AM - Post#4009000    

They already do recycle and budget ideas - Georgina did one not long ago. I love those. I remember it made me laugh because I had just read another article on using up your stash and those two ideas just clashed! But there is a place for both.

Oh! And I'm ALWAYS up for new ideas for how to use up scraps, and what other people do with their scraps.

I love the idea of a sketch done in several ways, and how to incorporate smaller papers.

Oh and Sharson, your last idea reminded me. I confess to hardly ever categorising my LOs with a "style", because I never really know what most of them mean. I know there is a brief description in the Gallery, but so many LOs get posted under what I would term as a completely different style. Eg. there are some very fussy LOs indeed under Clean and Simple, and some pretty serious subjects under Playful. What do Geometric and Bohemian mean? What's the difference between Heritage and Vintage, and between Shabby Rhic and romantic?

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom
Reg: 09-28-05

09-07-12 05:23 AM - Post#4009004    

theses are great ideas, some of them were things we wrote about a long time ago and then stopped.Maybe we should bring them back. Please keep the ideas coming as you think of them.

J-M 
SJ Aficionada
J-M
Reg: 02-20-11

09-07-12 07:14 AM - Post#4009046    

• Kiwifarmer Said:
how to use other craft ideas in your scrapbooks.

I recently did an article on this - incorporating knitting and cross-stitch into layouts. It was due in July, so I would guess it'll be published shortly?

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

09-07-12 08:04 AM - Post#4009066    
    In response to J-M

Oh goodie! I have a piece of half-finished cross-stitch from my childhood which I want to scrap. The actual piece I mean, not a picture of it. It isn't good for anything else, but it seems a shame to throw it away when all those child-hours went into it!

Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

09-07-12 12:52 PM - Post#4009204    

I am not totally against my challenges coordinating with articles but to be truthful, many of them are not thought up in a timely manner on my part!! I think I would have to be a bit more organized!!!

kworlton 
Scrapjazz Contributor

Reg: 08-25-05

09-07-12 01:25 PM - Post#4009232    
    In response to Nora

Lol Nora!

Some great ideas, guys, thank you. Do be sure to search in the learning section, because many of these suggested articles are there and are still relevant even if they weren't published this year. Fairly sure we had at least one article in the past 6 months with the 3 levels of difficulty. I know some of you said you hadn't been reading for a while, so you may want to go browsing!

cjjohnson 
SJ Grand Poobah
cjjohnson

09-07-12 03:03 PM - Post#4009272    
    In response to Nora

• Nora Said:
I am not totally against my challenges coordinating with articles but to be truthful, many of them are not thought up in a timely manner on my part!! I think I would have to be a bit more organized!!!

Not necessarily... you could in the most untimely way look and see what the most current article is an draw inspiration from it.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
October 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.233 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 04:54 PM