Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
 Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: ScrapJazz Articles        (Topic#321536)
Scrapjanny 
Scrapjazz Contributor
Scrapjanny
Reg: 09-06-07

08-26-12 11:45 AM - Post#4005404    
    In response to Polly

• Polly Said:
Hi, Polly here.....saw the thread and thought I might chime in. I do write articles and have been doing so since becoming a member nearly ten years ago. I'm not as active in the forums like I used to but participate in the photography forum on occasion, in fact I know I've seen you on threads Red Squirrel in that forum. I suppose it's the ebb and flow of life - when I'm not super busy with work and kid activities I try to pop in to the gallery and forums and comment/participate. I do not own a mobile device which allows me to pop in throughout the day so I'm basically stuck with popping in when I'm at home, not doing chores or cooking a meal and am able to sit at my computer. I guess I feel kind of bad that I'm having to defend myself for writing articles. As far as the articles go, I spend a lot of prep time on them and then the time spent creating a project(s) supporting the article which I then write. I of course want the articles to be informative with useful tips and ideas. I guess I feel the focus should be on the articles, not the forum participation of the writer.

That being said I will agree that sometimes when I read the articles I too wish I could see the images larger. It would be nice to see comments and receive feedback as it can be helpful when working on future articles.

Very well said, Polly. I feel the same way.

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper
Reg: 03-15-03

08-26-12 12:55 PM - Post#4005418    
    In response to Scrapjanny

Like I said in an earlier post, I read the ones that interest me.

My first stop here is the Home page, and then I scroll down to see who's LOs are featured, and then glance to see what the article of the day is. I've noticed that sometimes it's a different article everyday, and sometimes the same article stays there for a few days before it is changed.

I really do read them and have on occasion posted a comment in GS regarding one that I have really liked!!

I think it's just a matter of actually paying attention to it! But I also agree, when wanting to see a larger version of a LO, it is disappointing when all you get is what is in the article.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

08-26-12 01:48 PM - Post#4005424    
    In response to buttonscrapper

Forgive me, I hadn't connected many of the writers' names with the screen names - that was stupid of me not to have worked that out. The pen-names I would never have worked out without being told though!

• Scrapjanny Said:
I don't know why you say that I "never" post here.

Jeanette, I have always known you as Jan or Janny. Wrongly, but that's your screen name and the name in your signature. I just didn't know that your name is Jeanette.

Polly, I only looked through the latest articles and unless your pen name is Cindy deRosier who doesn't link to a profile, you weren't there so I didn't even think of you, I'm sorry!

I really didn't intend to attack anyone. I realise that of course people have their own lives, and writing articles is a time-consuming service in itself. If I had realised who half the writers are, you would not have seemed so remote.

But that's my point. I've been a regular here - about as regular as it is possible to be - for over 4 years. I've poked about all over this site in its old format and new. If I haven't worked that out, how are the less regular users going to know that the articles are even there, let alone that they are being written by "us"? Don't hide your lights under a bushel - advertise to us that your articles are up so that we can give you the credit you deserve! No way am I putting down the writers - I'm just trying to make suggestions to improve the site's service by making you and the articles more accessible. Please don't take my comments personally because they are not intended that way.

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom
Reg: 09-28-05

08-26-12 02:58 PM - Post#4005440    
    In response to RedSquirrel

You know Rosey, when I first started writing these articles I was so excited that I posted in the forums when they published. That was probably before you were here. But I stopped doing it because I didn't want people to think I was tooting my horn too much or bragging. I would be happy to chat about my articles, so I'll post next time I have one that I like come around.

Thanks for letting us know that you read them.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-26-12 03:55 PM - Post#4005448    
    In response to boysmom

People do read them. But we also forget that they are there sometimes - especially since the upgrade. They just aren't as obvious any more. This has been discussed before on the boards.

Tooting your own horn is doing us a service. Please toot!

J-M 
SJ Aficionada
J-M
Reg: 02-20-11

08-26-12 05:59 PM - Post#4005456    

I write articles for Scrapjazz as well, Jennifer Vardy Little, and posted here quite frequently for quite a while, but found it difficult to chatter away in the general section - where most seem to post - when you all seemed to know each other so well. It can be intimidating to try to dive into. I still try to complete the monthly challenges and draw inspiration from the COW. If you're interested in any of my projects, I do try to post them in the gallery

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

08-26-12 06:42 PM - Post#4005464    
    In response to Polly

Polly......good to see you on here....I used to love looking at your blue crew layouts each month, and read your articles.I am glad you are still around giving us inspiration!

I dont think that Rosey was intending that anyone have to defend themselves for writing articles, she just raised a point that the articles dont get the attention they deserve. And that it would be great to be able to discuss points about an article with the writer. I certainly did not know that some of you wrote articles....at least I never put two and two togther until now.
Perhaps you could pop your scrapjazz name in brackets beside your articles, so we can put a name to the face....so to speak.

Kazzam 
SJ Diva
Kazzam
Reg: 01-15-06

08-26-12 07:18 PM - Post#4005470    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

Please don't take our comments as an attack. We just want to make the site better and to give feedback to your articles. We are all aware that these articles take time to write and you all have busy lives.

Maybe once a week in the GS forum a post could be made with links to the articles released that week. That way the members can check them out and leave feedback. Please don't ever think that you are "tooting your horn" or that we are attacking you. You all need to be congratulated for putting up great articles.

Polly 
Blue Crew Member
Polly
Reg: 04-11-02

08-26-12 09:09 PM - Post#4005500    
    In response to Kazzam

It's all good Rosey - this has been a great opportunity for all of us to come out and give some feedback on the issue of articles. Hopefully some positive changes can come from the suggestions - larger images and a designated forum section with direct links to the articles and such.

I will say that you did inspire me to update my gallery which I had not done in months and post some photos in the photography forum - thanks for the nudge.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-27-12 02:18 AM - Post#4005526    
    In response to Polly

Ooh a designated Articles forum - THAT'S a good idea. We're buzzing with good ideas around here!

Thank you Polly. I feel better now. I'll admit to having a bad night worrying that I'd upset people. Off to check out your Gallery....

Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Reg: 01-22-03

08-28-12 03:25 PM - Post#4005880    

I have a few coming up in November? and I don't mind posting when the come out but I don't ever know the specific date. I have in the past put my LO's or cards in the gallery but probably not in a timely manner.

Nice to hear feedback on the articles!! I think a forum would be good!

GwynnAsbury 
SJ Eloquent One
GwynnAsbury
Reg: 01-05-06

08-29-12 10:14 AM - Post#4006134    
    In response to Polly

I like the idea of a forum. And like someone mentioned, others used to post threads either here or in the general forum for discussion of the article, but that has changed.... I think it would be a nice change of pace to be able to have a place here to conversate about the crafty going on in our lives, or that we are reading about.

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom
Reg: 09-28-05

08-29-12 10:53 AM - Post#4006164    
    In response to GwynnAsbury

All great ideas. We write the articles about 2 months in advance and we don't know the exact publish day until they show up. There is supposed to be a new article each weekday, but they are not automated. Someone manually puts them up which is why they don't show up at exactly the same time each day.

I also learned from this thread that I don't have a bio. HOpefully I can get that fixed soon as well.

Denise Gormish 
Scrapjazz Contributor
Denise Gormish
Reg: 07-08-02

08-29-12 04:54 PM - Post#4006250    
    In response to Polly

There are some great ideas here! I would love the opportunity to chat with people about the articles I write. If a thread for each article is the best path we have, then let's do it. I would also be happy to upload to the gallery any of the layouts I have in my articles and include a link.

I have been a contributor for 8 years and I love writing Scrapjazz articles. Scrapooking has been a passion of mine since 1995. I was very actively involved at Scrapjazz for many years. I admit I am not as involved lately. In the last two years I have switched to digital scrapbooking. I do pop into the digital area in the forum. I plan to do some paper scrapping in the fall.

Edited by Denise Gormish on 08-29-12 04:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-29-12 05:32 PM - Post#4006274    
    In response to Denise Gormish

Hi Denise - great to see you on here! I've been reading your articles for years too, and wondering who you were. It would be great to see you around here more. Come into the Lounge and wave us a hello sometime?

ScrappyHappy 
Scrapjazz Contributor
ScrappyHappy
Reg: 11-18-04

08-31-12 10:23 AM - Post#4006788    

Greetings to all of you, I have been writing for Scrapjazz for several years now and am also intrigued by these posts. I agree with other writers when they say they don't have time to spend commenting on forums, because I don't either. I work full time outside of the home now and with 2 children and lots of church activities I do well to complete my articles/projects by the deadlines. I am just happy to hear that several people are actually reading them.

I often post on my blog www.patriciasperspectives.blogspot.com when I have new articles up on the site, but like they mentioned we never know what day they will be posted only what month. So that makes it hard to promote.

I have often wished the photos could be enlarged and that we could get some kind of feedback from our articles. Thank you for checking on these things Karina!

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-31-12 02:26 PM - Post#4006878    
    In response to ScrappyHappy

Hi ScrapHappy!

If you could post your pictures to the Gallery, and then link to them in your article, we will be able to:
a) see the pictures bigger
b) leave feedback and ask questions

That would go a long way towards the chief things on the wish-list. The other bit about not knowing the writers seems to be gradually being sorted out by this thread - it's so good to see you all on here!

ScrappyHappy 
Scrapjazz Contributor
ScrappyHappy
Reg: 11-18-04

08-31-12 05:32 PM - Post#4006936    

I will definitely update my gallery with all my latest article photos. I guess I never knew it was ok to upload them before the article came out. I will double-check with Karina and as long as they are ok with it I will do that from now on.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-31-12 06:35 PM - Post#4006974    
    In response to ScrappyHappy

I don't see why it shouldn't be OK to link them beforehand. Some of the LOs featured have been in the Gallery for a long time. You could even mention in the description for people to look out for more detail in the upcoming article so we can see how you did it.

But yes of course it's best to check with Karina first. Thank you!

J-M 
SJ Aficionada
J-M
Reg: 02-20-11

08-31-12 06:50 PM - Post#4006976    

I had asked Andrea last January whether it was okay to post prior to the articles appearing and had gotten the all clear then

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
April 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.325 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 07:51 AM