Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
 Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: ScrapJazz Articles        (Topic#321536)
RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

08-25-12 02:34 AM - Post#4005044    

I was scanning through the new articles today and it struck me as peculiar that we have all these article writers and other than Gwyn, Nilsa, and occasionally Georgina they never post on the forums. Not one of them.

How strange to do a service for a community of people, and not have any contact with them. There is no mechanism for feedback. No comments section on the articles, no way of linking back to the LOs and cards in the Gallery here (only Nilsa includes links), no easy way of contacting the writer to ask for clarification or more information. No way of enlarging those tiny photos so we can actually see the details that they're talking about. No "like" button, no ratings stars.

Don't you think that's odd, in a world where feedback has become not merely trendy, but annoyingly obligatory?

It isn't even like a magazine where at least the article writers seem to know and refer to each other, in their own community.

I would take more interest in the articles if the writers were visible and contactable. I always read Gwyn's and Nilsa's and Georgina's articles first. Sometimes only. I get frustrated when I can't see the details in the pictures. I often want to ask a question. I want to be able to give credit where credit is due for a good article, a great idea, a LO which I want to lift.

Don't you agree? I might raise that with the management. Except I don't know who they are - they aren't exactly visible either, without some deep digging.

kaleidoscope 
SJ Queen of the Crop
kaleidoscope
Reg: 02-13-09

08-25-12 06:32 AM - Post#4005050    
    In response to RedSquirrel

Yes, very annoying when the pictures aren't big enough and you can't enlarge them.

I wonder if the writers all hang out over at the other site?

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom
Reg: 09-28-05

08-25-12 07:45 AM - Post#4005068    
    In response to kaleidoscope

Sorry you all feel that way. I've been writing some of the articles here for years under the name Rachel Myerson. Although I don't post here so much anymore, I still check in most days and have been a member here even longer than I've been writing the articles.

I think there are some valid points here about not being able to enlarge the images or provide feedback. I'll send the editor over to this thread.

Edited by boysmom on 08-25-12 07:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-25-12 08:02 AM - Post#4005080    
    In response to boysmom

I didn't know that! {waving} Thank you for coming in and telling us. I wonder whether any of the other writers are using pen names, and we actually DO know them after all?

I just figured that all these little points are fixable, and it would make the articles more accessible to people. I like the articles, and I appreciate the effort that goes into writing them. It seems a shame that they are so remote, somehow.

Thank you for getting in contact with "the editor". Who is that?

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom

08-25-12 08:14 AM - Post#4005086    

The editor for years was Andrea, who I'm sure you remember, she founded the place. The new editor is named Karina, she is real nice and is working hard. I sent her a link to this thread, so I'm sure she will look at the suggestions. For some reason, some of the things on that front page are really hard to fix - like getting bullets to work. So, the feedback thing might not be as easy as you would think. Adding more links to the gallery would be easy. I can't speak for the other writers, but I will make more of an effort to do that.

I also have a special article coming up in October (we write them really far in advance) which features some special input from someone here that you know. I will link that one on the forums that day.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-25-12 08:33 AM - Post#4005088    
    In response to boysmom

Oh yes, websites are not easy! I realise that. There is still a whole bunch of bugs left over from the upgrade from over a year ago which have not been fixed. I started a thread in the Ask Us forum and I know Megan has reported them to the developers, but since then.... silence.

They've got feedback enabled on the scrapbook.com articles though. I think maybe they have them set up as blog entries there though. Perhaps that would work better here too?

I know of Andrea of course, but I haven't seen anything of her since I joined 4 years ago. I didn't know there was a new editor. I've just been looking through the Home page but I couldn't find any news or editorials to keep us up to date with this kind of information. And it doesn't make it into the forums. Is there something I'm missing? I'd love to know what's going on with the site, and the "management" LOL.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-25-12 08:35 AM - Post#4005090    

P.S. I look forward to the October article!

buttonscrapper 
SJ Divalicious
buttonscrapper
Reg: 03-15-03

08-25-12 09:20 AM - Post#4005104    
    In response to boysmom

• boysmom Said:
Sorry you all feel that way. I've been writing some of the articles here for years under the name Rachel Myerson. Although I don't post here so much anymore, I still check in most days and have been a member here even longer than I've been writing the articles.

I think there are some valid points here about not being able to enlarge the images or provide feedback. I'll send the editor over to this thread.

Oooh, I had no clue this was you!!

I think Rosey has some valid points. I try to read them regularly, if the article seems to be something I'm interested in.

boysmom 
Scrapjazz Contributor
boysmom

08-25-12 09:36 AM - Post#4005120    
    In response to buttonscrapper

Once upon a time, people here knew that was me, and we used to discuss the articles in the forums. I'm going to say that was 6 or 7 years ago. I'm glad you know now. There are some other writers here you now, like Nora and some of the old Blue Crew people. There are some new people that I don't really know either. The people who write the articles have scrapjazz contributor under their names.

Andrea left around the 10th anniversary. She sent a good-bye to all of us, but I guess she never posted it on the board. I think she started another company doing something entirely different.

BTW - I often have Mary (mjbee) create stuff to put in my articles. So even if you didn't know who I was, you would know that was her.

Edited by boysmom on 08-25-12 09:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

WorkingMommy 
SJ Diva
WorkingMommy
Reg: 04-15-07

08-25-12 09:41 AM - Post#4005124    
    In response to boysmom

Rosey, if you click on the author's name, they go to a bio. Most I believe have their user name listed there, so you can tell who they are on the board (if they participate in the boards).

You can then PM them with their user name, but if they don't participate on the boards they may not get the PM in a timely manner.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-25-12 01:41 PM - Post#4005182    
    In response to WorkingMommy

Jennifer I didn't realise that either although not all those links work.

Guys, guys, why don't you post in GS or somewhere that your articles are being published? I would go and look far more often if I knew that they were written by people I know, and I could discuss them with you. Don't be shy about your talents - you are good writers with fabby ideas!

Kazzam 
SJ Diva
Kazzam
Reg: 01-15-06

08-25-12 07:17 PM - Post#4005254    

I always forget to check as I come straight to the forums. Maybe the editor could have a post in the GS forum about checking out the article/s.

I like the idea of the pics being able to be expanded. If not possible in the article maybe link the pic to the gallery so we can have a good look at the detail and design.

michann 
Scrapjazz Contributor
michann
Reg: 01-09-06

08-25-12 07:28 PM - Post#4005260    
    In response to Kazzam

Mine still says contributor even though I haven't contributed in over a year.

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

08-25-12 08:23 PM - Post#4005282    
    In response to michann

I am a bit like Kazz and forget they exist. Every ow and then I do check them out.

I agree they need to be made more user friendly, and advertised on the forums when they're up dated.

There are other sites i go to for articles because they are easier to access and read. Also comments sections which are invaluable for feedback if you have a question.

kworlton 
Scrapjazz Contributor

Reg: 08-25-05

08-25-12 08:54 PM - Post#4005300    

Hi! I am the editor, as of a few months ago. I was the proofreader for years before that. I'm still learning the ropes as editor, so I don't know the answers to your questions. I do know that I certainly don't have the skills to make comments on articles possible! I don't know that I have the ability to make the pictures enlarge-able, either. I'll do some research to see what I can do, because honestly I've wanted to enlarge pictures myself!

Any other questions I can try to answer? I have five sons who keep me very busy, but I'll check in as often as I can.

Kazzam 
SJ Diva
Kazzam
Reg: 01-15-06

08-26-12 12:21 AM - Post#4005326    
    In response to kworlton

Thanks for coming her and letting us know that you are going to look into things. 5 sons will definitely keep you busy.

If the pics can't be enlarged in the article could they be uploaded to the gallery with a link in the article. That way if we want to look at a larger size we can.

Maybe the comments section could happen in the forum area in the thread advertising that a new article has been posted.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I love sj and get some much inspiration from the gallery but I do forget about the learning section.

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel

08-26-12 02:08 AM - Post#4005346    
    In response to Kazzam

Hi Karina! It's so good to see you. Thank you for stopping by and posting. I agree that with 5 kids, your time will be limited and precious.

If you are not able to make those changes to the articles themselves, maybe we can think of ways of working round them. How about if the writers post in GS when a new article has been published? And pop back and check whether anyone has any comments to make. If they upload their source pictures to the Gallery, then we can leave love there for them too, and add them to our Favourites, and vote for them.

Would that work, do you think?

Kiwifarmer 
SJ Eloquent One
Kiwifarmer
Reg: 09-13-02

08-26-12 02:26 AM - Post#4005348    

That sounds a great idea rosey

Scrapjanny 
Scrapjazz Contributor
Scrapjanny
Reg: 09-06-07

08-26-12 09:26 AM - Post#4005360    
    In response to Kiwifarmer

Rosey, I've been writing for SJ for several years, and I've been an active member here since 2003. I had to re-register in 2007, because I had some sort of problem with my account. I frequently post in the forums. I have also mentioned articles that I've written and directed members to articles written by fellow contributors. And this is my first message board stop every day. I also participated in some of the National Scrapbook Day challenges. I don't know why you say that I "never" post here.

It would be great to get feedback on articles and have them more prominently featured on the first page of the message board.

Edited by Scrapjanny on 08-26-12 09:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Polly 
Blue Crew Member
Polly
Reg: 04-11-02

08-26-12 10:46 AM - Post#4005384    
    In response to Scrapjanny

Hi, Polly here.....saw the thread and thought I might chime in. I do write articles and have been doing so since becoming a member nearly ten years ago. I'm not as active in the forums like I used to but participate in the photography forum on occasion, in fact I know I've seen you on threads Red Squirrel in that forum. I suppose it's the ebb and flow of life - when I'm not super busy with work and kid activities I try to pop in to the gallery and forums and comment/participate. I do not own a mobile device which allows me to pop in throughout the day so I'm basically stuck with popping in when I'm at home, not doing chores or cooking a meal and am able to sit at my computer. I guess I feel kind of bad that I'm having to defend myself for writing articles. As far as the articles go, I spend a lot of prep time on them and then the time spent creating a project(s) supporting the article which I then write. I of course want the articles to be informative with useful tips and ideas. I guess I feel the focus should be on the articles, not the forum participation of the writer.

That being said I will agree that sometimes when I read the articles I too wish I could see the images larger. It would be nice to see comments and receive feedback as it can be helpful when working on future articles.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
November 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.104 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 07:49 PM