Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: IF YOU "LOSE" IMAGES ON A CARD:        (Topic#69000)
gemmysnap5 
Scrapjazz Contributor
gemmysnap5
Reg: 03-31-05

12-16-05 02:02 PM - Post#703330    

Whatever you do....DO NOT REFORMAT THE CARD. That does a "clean sweep" erasing some very usable data that could aide in image recovery. I think it may be possible to still recover images after you have done this, however it is more expensive and there is no guarantee they will be recovered. Online image recovery places are available online, though I have never used one and feel uncomfortable recommending one I know nothing about or have never used. Also...keep in mind you could be simply trying to view it on a computer that does not have the correct software to view images taken by that camera (either because that software was never installed or because it is "missing"), or you may have taken images on one card with two different cameras without formatting the card first. If it is your computer and you know your cameras software is there you may have to reinstall it. Inexpensive fixes: 1) Take card to a digital lab. See if they can pull up the images. If they can have them put images on a cd for you. 2) Put card on someone else's computer to see if they can view them 3.) Burn images straight to a cd (if you can) and then try pulling images off of the cd. You may get lucky and these may work. ALso feel free to add any other usefull information such as online recovery systems and other fixes, free and paid. FYI: ALthough I do not recommend doing this, I know for a fact :rolleyes: that it is POSSIBLE to actually wash and dry a card that is not in a case and still have images on there, and be able to use that same card for say ohhh 5 years or so after the fact. Again....do not try that at home, but they are pretty resilient little dudes to put with me.

Dexter 
SJ Grand Poobah

Reg: 02-23-05

12-16-05 02:12 PM - Post#703331    
    In response to gemmysnap5

I'm going to add to this if you don't mind...

If you are sticking a card into a card reader or a printer with card reader installed, and cannot see the files, but your camera still can see them, then try connecting the camera to a computer with a USB cable if your camera supports this.

Usually when this happens it means that a small file which lets the card be seen by the computer has been corrupted. If you have a USB cable for the camera you should be able to recover these. If the camera sees them, then when you connect the camera up to the computer, the computer should see the camera and you should be able to transfer the pics, then re-format the camera card.

If that does not work, try this program, PC Inspector Smart Recovery:

Link

It is free, easy to use, and designed specifically to look for media files. You tell it what kind of files to look for, and where to put them if it can recover them. It is a slow process, but it can often recover files even if you already have formatted the picture card. (Note: this software may not work if your camera is attached via USB cable, you may require a dedicated card reader to use this. Many computers and printers now have card readers built in, if yours does not, you can purchase a USB-connected dedicated card reader very inexpensively at almost any computer store.)

Above all, don't panic. If none of these things work, come post a thread here at SJ for some help, many people have gone through this here. We'll do our best to help you out.

Dexter...

/Edit: updated the link above to the newer "Smart Recovery" version of the software, which is easier and faster to use and provide better recovery ability.

Another edit, to add additional util...

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

Edited by Megan - FT on 09-10-07 06:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pr31wb 
SJ Diva
pr31wb
Reg: 04-05-02

12-16-05 02:39 PM - Post#703332    

I am bookmarking this thread for reference. Thanks!

MaraJ 
SJ Eloquent One
MaraJ
Reg: 02-15-04

12-16-05 03:04 PM - Post#703333    
    In response to pr31wb

Have not needed this kind of help yet, but this is great info to have! Thanks for sharing.

Yoslick 
SJ Diva
Yoslick
Reg: 01-22-05

12-16-05 04:34 PM - Post#703334    
    In response to MaraJ

Thanks so much!

1RedheadMommy21 
SJ Eloquent One
1RedheadMommy21
Reg: 01-05-04

12-17-05 08:13 PM - Post#703335    
    In response to Yoslick

Yes... please listen to all above advice.... I once reformatted a session before I DL... and managed to get back about 20 of 100 pics so image recovery software is not always reliable...

justamy 
Retired Blue Crew Member
justamy
Reg: 04-26-02

12-17-05 08:20 PM - Post#703336    
    In response to 1RedheadMommy21

Here is my story.... [url]http://www.scrapjazz.com/community/jazzclub/sh owthread.php?t=71063[/url]

Maureen Spell 
Retired Blue Crew Member
Maureen Spell
Reg: 04-10-02

06-24-06 11:17 AM - Post#703337    
    In response to justamy

I am so glad we have this thread! I took around 80 pictures of an event last night. When I went to upload my photos, my computer couldn't read the card. I tried my external card reader, same thing. I tried to upload directly from the camera--same thing. I could see the pictures on the LCD panel on the camera, but couldn't pull them up because of a corrupted file. I used the program Dexter recommended and was able to save all my pictures. Yeah! Thanks you guys! This is def. a thread to add to your thread subscriptions.

Dexter 
SJ Grand Poobah

Reg: 02-23-05

06-25-06 01:27 AM - Post#703338    
    In response to Maureen Spell

Glad to hear another success story. By the way, the PCI Inspector software is not just for camera cards, it can search your computer's hard drive as well. If you accidentally delete pictures on your hard drive, run this right away, and it may be able to recover them for you if the data has not been overwritten on the drive. Just the other night a friend of my son's found out that I was a techy guy, and asked me about recovering pictures that had been deleted by accident. Seems he or his Dad had accidentally deleted from the hard drive some pictures that one of them had been saving for something. I had my son send them the link to the PCI Inspector software. As I walked by my son on the computer earlier tonight, he said, "Oh, Eddy just messaged me to tell you that he and his Dad both love you now." I guess that means it worked for them too. Dexter...

gemmysnap5 
Scrapjazz Contributor
gemmysnap5
Reg: 03-31-05

06-27-06 08:43 AM - Post#703339    
    In response to Dexter

hmmm I am thinking some form of this thread should be a sticky. This will be the first forum people will go to for image loss.

Maureen Spell 
Retired Blue Crew Member
Maureen Spell
Reg: 04-10-02

06-27-06 11:06 AM - Post#703340    

• gemmysnap5 Said:
hmmm I am thinking some form of this thread should be a sticky. This will be the first forum people will go to for image loss.
Yes, that would be a good idea. I remembered reading this thread a year ago, which is why I was able to do a search and pull it up. Those new to the site wouldn't even know we've discussed this before.

Myrnabs 
SJ Eloquent One
Myrnabs
Reg: 12-29-06

01-11-07 10:23 PM - Post#703341    
    In response to Maureen Spell

I'm just subscribing to this thread as well. Thanks for this great piece of important INFORMATION.

zlatan24 
SJ Newbie

Reg: 03-26-07

03-26-07 05:15 AM - Post#703342    

I have had good results using [url]http://www.oemailrecovery.com/photo_recovery.html[/url]

grewenig 
SJ Eloquent One
grewenig
Reg: 05-19-06

foto recovery
04-17-07 05:43 PM - Post#703343    

the more professional cards come with a recover disk that helps with this, scan disk extreme III

GH26 
Scrapjazz Contributor
GH26
Reg: 04-16-06

06-12-07 04:26 PM - Post#703344    
    In response to grewenig

I'm gonna add to this thread - I have a programme from a photographer friend called photo rescue. Its marvellous and has literally rescued me on many occassions. Im trying it again tonight as some photos I took (and checked) have sadly disappeared - Im hoping they will come back. If you want info on this pm me!

RedSquirrel 
SJ Queen of the Crop
RedSquirrel
Reg: 06-13-08

09-16-08 01:30 AM - Post#2665960    
    In response to GH26

I'm not sure whether this is covered in any of the external links above, but for what it's worth...

If you suddenly can't read data on a card that you know should be there, DO NOT try taking more photos with it. If the card thinks the data has been deleted, it can overwrite existing data with the new photos in the same way a format does.

Another thing, and I'm sorry if this is old news.

If you make any changes to photos on a card using your computer (like resizing, rotating, creating a new folder & moving the photos), this may prevent the camera from "seeing" the photos. They will still be there, but only the computer can see them.

I've had to teach several friends and relatives how to copy the photos to the computer before making any changes. My MIL thought she'd lost nearly all her grandson's christening pics because she rotated them on the card instead of on the computer. She nearly tossed the card. Again, apologies if you knew this already.

ScrappinChick 
SJ Aficionada
ScrappinChick
Reg: 07-20-08

05-11-09 01:04 PM - Post#3205260    
    In response to RedSquirrel

I wish i had read this before i got my camera! I took some pics in the few days after i got my camera and hit the FORMAT button thinking it was like a computer format where you could edit photos on the camera. I was so upset, i lost so many photos!!

Scrappy Do 
SJ Jazzie

Reg: 07-27-09

06-09-10 01:00 PM - Post#3527940    
    In response to ScrappinChick

Thank you, this is great to know!

Teshawar 
SJ Newbie

Reg: 10-25-14

10-25-14 03:55 AM - Post#4123970    
    In response to Scrappy Do

You may get lucky and these may work. ALso feel free to add any other usefull information such as online recovery systems and other fixes, free and paid. FYI: ALthough I do not recommend doing this, I know for a fact that it is POSSIBLE to actually wash and dry a card that is not in a case and still have images on there, and be able to use that same card for say ohhh 5 years or so after the fact. Again....do not try that at home, but they are pretty resilient little dudes to put with me.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Jazzers
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Hot Topics
Calendar
October 2014
SMTWTFS

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.289 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 08:16 PM