Daily Deals & Coupons at Scrapbook.com. Click Here!
Login • Sign Up • Customer Service • My Account • Shopping Bag  
Username Post: longer school days??
Nora 
Blue Crew Member
Nora
Loc: Connecticut
Reg: 01-22-03
12-06-12 04:47 AM - Post#4030004    
    In response to Nora

"The project comes as educators across the U.S. struggle to identify the best ways to strengthen a public education system that many fear has fallen behind other nations. Student testing, teacher evaluations, charter schools and voucher programs join longer school days on the list of reforms that have been put forward with varying degrees of success."

Part of the reason that the US is falling behind other nations is they count all the school populations in their "testing scores." Most other countries do not have Spec Ed in regular public education and do not count them in their scores. How fair is that to be judged not on equal terms?

I know this has been a problem for our district schools, who have a fabulous curriculum and at the HS level, a lot of extra support. The sub set population always take the scores down. One reason I don't like testing because the kids have made gains each year-but to their level, not to some arbitrary state level. It is infuriating. I am of the belief that each child learns differently and should be looked at individually, not as a group. If a child has made gains, you cannot always see it in a test score!!

Edited by Nora on 12-06-12 04:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Scrapjazz.com on Twitter  Scrapjazz.com on Facebook   
   © 2014 Scrapjazz.com
Execution time: 0.072 seconds.   Total Queries: 11   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0600) Central. Current time is 03:56 PM